Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Gulf Island in August

• purpleceline

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012

Hello friendlyforumers! We're heading to Thailand in August for our honeymoon for about 2weeks. We're really into food, would like some beach time, and don't want topack too much in (since it's our honeymoon), and we're trying to make the mostof the rainy season, so those have been the deciding factors for the itinerary:Bangkok, Chiang Mai for food & culture, Koh Tao because of all the Gulfislands (best in August), it seems the chillest, even though we don't dive(though we do snorkel). I would appreciate any feedback on our itinerary but Iam mostly posting here to ask about how many days to spend in each place.Here's what we're thinking:

(We arrive WednesdayAug 8th late at night, and leave Friday Aug 24th early AM)

Thursday, Friday,Saturday - Bangkok to unwind & get used to the time zone & climate
    Sunday - fly toChiang Mai
    Sunday-Thursday ORFriday - Chiang Mai: Do we want 4 or 5 nights in Chiang Mai?
    Thursday OR Friday -fly to Koh Tao via Bangkok (cnx-bkk, bkk-urt, bus + ferry) --> this takespretty much all day, unless we want to spend a LOT more to fly direct fromChiang Mai to Koh Samui -- does anyone think that's worth it?
    Thursday OR Fridaythrough Thursday- Koh Tao, unless anyone has other Gulf island recommendations.
    Thursday - fly backto Bangkok
    Friday - fly home

So the main questionis, out of 11 nights, do we do 4 Chiang Mai/7 Koh Tao or 5 Chiang Mai/6 KohTao? Also, if we want a relaxed beach experience, is Koh Tao our best bet?
    Any advice or tipswould be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 15:14

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Koh Tao is good for relaxing but you may also want to have a look at beaches on the north end of Koh Phangan.

FYI, the Gulf is not in its rainy season in August. In fact, it is one of the busiest months of the year. So best to book accomodations in advance.

#2 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 20:12

• purpleceline

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012

Thanks guava girl! I know Gulf is high season - I meant we're trying to avoid the rain on the other side - people keep recommending Koh Lanta etc. I'm about to book, if you have any recommendations for accommodations - we're looking for mid-priced, beach location, flush toilets & hot water, small & personal, not huge resort.

#3 Posted: 6/3/2012 - 13:36

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

There are plenty. Try resorts on Haad Salad and Thong Nai Pan Yai. IMO those are the two nicest beaches on Koh Phangan.

#4 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 08:42

• purpleceline

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012

Thank you. Now I am also running into problems getting down to the islands from Chiang Mai - even springing for an incredibly expensive direct flight to Koh Samui gets us there too late for the last boat (which I believe is around 1pm); flying through Bangkok to Surat Thani, we'd get there in the late afternoon and still not be able to bus/boat that same day to Koh Tao or Phangan. Advice, anyone?

#5 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 18:26

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

The last boat leaving Smui for Koh Phangan is at 18:30 and the last ferry to Koh Tao is at 13:30.

The last boat from Surat Thani (Don Sak) to KP is at 18:00. There is also a night boat that leaves at 23:00.

Have a look at Nok air, as they have an air/ferry package from Bangkok to Koh Phangan for a really good price.

#6 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 01:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The Gulf of Thailand in August? ... By shazhippychild on 28 Jun 2009 5 3513 26 Nov 2010
Which Gulf Island In June ... By moellercl on 20 Feb 2014 1 360 20 Feb 2014
Beach In August: Andaman Coast vs. Gulf of Thailand ... By shaka317 on 4 May 2012 2 2372 10 May 2012
Bangkok to Chiang Mai 22 August 2010 ... By Geezy on 10 Aug 2010 0 1036 10 Aug 2010