Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

What to take with me?

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I am there for 3 weeks and plan on doing a little shopping while I am there.. I will spend a few days in Bangkok, Cambodia and most of the time in the Islands!!!

In most events I tend to over pack for trips. Coming from a male opinion... What should I bring? How many tees, shorts, etc?
    I will do some laundry when I am there but am curious what people recommed I bring?
    Should I bring a pair of jeans, 3 shorts, 4 tees and some socks?
    I am clueless about backpacking!!!

Thanks so much
    cheers

#1 Posted: 6/3/2012 - 20:21

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Really depends on you, very subjective choices. When in doubt leave it out, you won't miss your favorite pair of jeans in 3 weeks and anyway we're getting into hot season so I would tend to go minimalist. 3-4 light shirts / 1-2 shorts / undies / flipflops or Tevas, no socks. You won't need anything warm except for the flight over or if you take any aircon buses or trains. Add some basic toiletries (most of which can be bought here) and leave room in your bag for shopping. On that basis you can get by on a carry-on size bag maybe 20-30-liter. Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 6/3/2012 - 22:56

• meeshakar

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011
    Location United States

Hi,

I pretty much just did your exact trip. 3 weeks including Cambodia and lots of islands in Thailand. This is what I used and didn't... Used 3 bathing suits, tank tops, 2 favorite shorts, 2 flip flops, couple t shirts. Will not use jeans, tight shirts, or socks. The reason I like 2 or 3 is in case you do laundry or if you get it wet. Also you can buy things super cheap in Cambodia so if you need anything, get it there before Thailand. Oh and don't forget a hat and sunscreen. Enjoy! I had the time of my life. And the Trang islands in southern Thailand, amazing and very few tourists compared to the other islands around.

#3 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 04:01

• meeshakar

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011
    Location United States

Hi,

I pretty much just did your exact trip. 3 weeks including Cambodia and lots of islands in Thailand. This is what I used and didn't... Used 3 bathing suits, tank tops, 2 favorite shorts, 2 flip flops, couple t shirts. Will not use jeans, tight shirts, or socks. The reason I like 2 or 3 is in case you do laundry or if you get it wet. Also you can buy things super cheap in Cambodia so if you need anything, get it there before Thailand. Oh and don't forget a hat and sunscreen. Enjoy! I had the time of my life. And the Trang islands in southern Thailand, amazing and very few tourists compared to the other islands around.

#4 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 04:01

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Thanks to both!!!

Should I bring runners? I am debating on it but I tend to never use runners in the summer unless I am at the gym..
    thanks again for your help... made my choices easier!!!
    cheers

#5 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 05:59

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Not unless you have to trudge through deep snow to get to and from the airport at home. Tevas and flipflops are all you'll need (mainly flipflops).

#6 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 21:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I always advise against wearing open toed footwear here, as it offers no protection to your foot (except the soul). Mosquitos love to feast on exposed feet, and if you are riding a motorcycle and you (or the driver) have to put it down, flip flops or "Tevas" just plain suck. Ask Cranky here about that. He's got some first hand experience.

#7 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 10:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I've always worn open-toed shoes and have never had a problem. And they let my feet breathe, and help keep me a bit cooler.

The exception is when riding on a motorbike. Then I have worn shoes that protect my feet - Teva Dozers which have plenty of airflow, or great for trekking - and actually don't look to bad! I agree that some of the sandal-style Teva's look a bit naff... but they are comfortable if you plan to spend all day on your feet traipsing through the sites. Generally speaking, when travelling for weeks on end and living out of a pack, comfort is more important than style. But there's no reason why you can't have both.

Cranky was just stupid for wearing flip-flops on a motorbike... (no offence, Cranky!)

#8 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 12:34

• meeshakar

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011
    Location United States

Agreed... if you plan on motorbike, maybe one pair of closed toe. But if not, I just got back from 3 weeks, Thailand and Cambodia with flip flops worn every day and as long as you spray with deet each day, I had no problems. Maybe I was lucky but I only got about 3 bites the entire time and they were actually on my shoulders!

The less the better because I swear, you always end up wearing the same comfortable outfits over and over, then switch to wash, then back to your favorites! Nike has a great pair of flip flops right now that feels like you are walking on pillows. Great for long days out. http://www.zappos.com/nike-comfort-thong-black-white

Enjoy!!

#9 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 18:26

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

cheers.. I am debating renting a bike and even 4x4 in Cambodia so I may bring shoes. I have big feet so it may be hard to find my size locally

#10 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 20:56

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

To the OP:
    It really depends on how you deal with heat. Thailand is a warm country - not Saudi Arabia or Djibouti warm mind you, but warmer than the climates most anglos come from. Me personally, I don't find it that hot. I actually find open toed footwear less comfortable, because my foot is constantly exposed. But if you find the summer in Europe hot, then you might want to consider open toed footwear - but not on a bike.

#11 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 23:36

• yllainehudg-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012

It really depends to you on what to bring.I suggest know first the whether of Thailand and Cambodia depending on what day will you visit. The more you bring clothes the more you have choices. You just have to be ready in all cases.Happy Trip!

#12 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 00:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh and I don't wear shorts either. For the same reasons I don't wear open toed footwear. I do wear jeans - as long as it's not a really hot day. Lightweight shirts are good, but unless you've got those nice, expensive linen shirts, plan two a day (or you'll be a funk monster). You can buy clothes cheaply here, especially the low quality stuff people like to bum around in. So you don't have to pack everything. You can grab some stuff on the fly for minimal expense. Also the rainy season is showing up early (has rained twice this week), so there's a chance you'll be getting wet and want to change more than you otherwise would. And I would bring one set of decent clothes in case you decide you want to go someplace nice.

#13 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 06:47

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Dental floss!!!! Ran out last year and could only find those little stick things and they kept getting stuck in my teeth!

#14 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 04:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.