Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting to Ko Kradan from Koh Lanta

• aalarcon

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2012

Hello! I have been in Thailand about week now, unsuccessfully trying to veer away from the massive throngs of European tourists. I'm a woman traveling by myself so I'm not interested in the drinking scene! I'm heading off to Ko Lanta tomorrow from Phuket, and want to go to Ko Kradan. How easy is it? I would also love some advice on both Ko Lanta and Ko Kradan.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 08:35

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

Getting from Lanta to Kradan is relatively easy. There are a couple ways:

As of last November there was one speedboat route that connected Lanta to Kradan directly. It seemed like kind of an experimental thing at that point, but you should ask at any Ko Lanta travel company for that first.

If there's not a direct boat, the easiest thing is to book a speedboat from Lanta to Ko Muk - there are a few different speedboats doing this run daily. In this case, the speedboat should drop you at Hat Farang beach in front of Charlie Resort on Ko Muk, and from there it's easy to charter a longtail boat to Ko Kradan , which is not far from Ko Muk. (You can go straight in to Charlie resort and ask them to find a boat for you, but I'd recommend going just past Charlie to either Rubber Tree Resort or Meow Thai Kitchen and ask at either of those places - they're just friendlier and it will probably be a little cheaper). The cost of the longtail should be 500B if you go private, but you may be able to hop on with some other people headed to Kradan and the price would be cheaper in that case.

If for some reason you get dropped at the pier on Ko Muk's east side and not at Hat Farang you could ask at one of the east coast resorts near the pier (like Coco Cottage) and see if they can arrange a longtail for you, or just catch a motorbike taxi to the other side (tell them Rubber Tree). If you want to walk to the other side it's about a half hour along the island's only road. Kradan is directly across the sea from Hat Farang so that might be the better place to launch from, and that's where I've gone from in the past.

The other way to get there is to book a mini bus transfer from Ko Lanta to Trang town, and then another mini bus / boat ticket to Ko Muk, and then get the longtail same as described above. As of last November there was no direct boat from the mainland to Kradan but it might be worth asking in Trang at one of the travel companies across from the train station if you go that route. If you go to Muk from Trang you'd definitely get dropped at the pier on the east coast first.

My advice would be to speedboat direct from Lanta to Muk/Kradan, but going through Trang would probably save a little money, and Trang is a cool little town in itself.

I've never been to Ko Lanta, but Ko Kradan is easily one of the top 5 most beautiful islands in Thailand. We're talking a tiny island with no roads, just a perfect white sands beach and turquoise water. It's definitely well away from the tourist hoards too - nothing like Phuket! There are only a few resorts and most are fairly expensive... For something cheaper but with some serious character I highly recommend Paradise Lost Resort (look for them in Travelfish's online guide for Ko Kradan).

By the way, Ko Muk isn't quite as picturesque as Kradan but it's worth a night or two if you have time. Ko Kradan is super quiet and really small - Ko Muk is a good kind of "in between" spot.

Have fun.

#2 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 10:11

• mnemeth

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

We were on Kradan a few weeks ago. We stayed at Seven Seas which is overpriced but very nice; relaxing, has hot water/air con/big beds/great staff. Its a good island in that region. It was my wife's favorite of all the islands she's been in there. Probably the best thing about it is the turquoise water / main beach. nice one for us at the end of our trip but we'd already gone to a more remote beauty/nature island and a more social one prior.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 00:24

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Most Kradan accommodation joints can arrange a direct boat transfer from the Trang coast.
    As can most Trang travel agents. KK Travel opposite the station has always worked well for me.

#4 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 04:07

• aalarcon

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2012

Hey everyone thanks for all the tips. I ended up asking a travel agency and got a ride for 400B on one of those 4 island tours and got a trip to the emerald cave in the process. Did take a while though, so if you don't have ,uh time this is probably not the best option. I stayed in Paradise Lost and loved it! Great place I truly reccomended it.

#5 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 11:26

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Well a trip into the Emerald Cave is worth 400 in itself.

#6 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Where is the best diving - Ko Jum / Ko Lanta / Ko Kradan??? ... By alexlazarus on 20 Aug 2009 4 5556 22 Aug 2009
KoLipe to KoNgai or Kradan then Ko Lanta ... By GilbertMcDonald on 20 Jan 2013 3 1615 21 Jan 2013
Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan ... By Arigato9 on 27 Jan 2013 2 1706 28 Jan 2013