Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Mekong River Boat In Laos - Need to get there from Chaing Mia

• SteveHickey

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of info on the Mekong river boat trip.

I will be in Chiang Mai, and from there I will be looking to head North into Laos to cross the border and head south to Luang Prabang by boat.

What I need to find out is the folllowing:

1) From Chiang Mai, what is the best route to head north and in to Laos in order to take a boat to Luang Prabang along the Mekong - I have heard that it is probably best to go Chiang Khong (how? and how long from Chaing Mai?) where one crosses the border in to Huay Xai??

2) Is Huay Xai the starting point for these trips, and is it easy to organise a boat?

3) How long does it take to get to Luang Prabang?

4) Is the boat trip expensive?

5) Is it easy then to get from Luang Prabang to Vietienne?

Any other details about trying to accomplish this leg of our journey would be greatly appreciated!!

If anyone has done this before, any tips?

Cheers guys,
    Steve

#1 Posted: 20/3/2007 - 20:58

• Advertisement

• prairieox

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

hi Steve,

It's pretty easy to catch public buses from Chiang Mai to Chiang Kong. We did it by catching buying a bus ticket to Chiang Rai, get off the bus there, and get immediately onto another bus for Chiang Kong. It doesn't take that long and is pretty cheap.

From Chiang Kong, you cross the river border into Huay Xai (lots of boats there to take you over, not to worry). We stayed at Huay Xai overnight and took the slow boat to Luang Prabang via Pak Beng the next morning.

If you take the slow boat, it takes 2 days and you have to overnight in Pak Beng. If you take the rocket boat, it takes 6 hours, but at your own risk.

The slow boat was not expensive, about $20US, if I remember correctly.

From Luang Prabang to Vientiane is very easy. There are buses that leave everyday and if you take the early morning bus, it gets you there in the late afternoon. No reservation required, just show up at the bus station going South and buy a ticket to get on. They include lunch and give you water.

Tips-wise, I would say if you're staying in Pak Beng, to not be too picky about accomodation. When we were there, the town was full, and we ended up sleeping on the floor, sharing a mattress with 5 people. But it's only one night, and it's like a rite of passage.

The boat journey is quite beautiful. Have fun!

#2 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 13:23

• SteveHickey

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

Thanks a million prairieox

Was wondering if you know anything about stopping in Vang Vieng on the way from Luang Prabang to Vietiane? I heard about people stopping there to do some tubing, and I hear it's great craic?

Is it easy to get to VV from LP?

And then is it east to get to Vietiane from VV?

Also, any recommendations on guest houses/hostels in the following?

Chiang Mai
    Chiang Rai
    Huay Xai
    Pak Beng
    Luang Prabang
    Vang Vieng
    Vientiane

Thanks again for all your help?

steve

#3 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 16:41

• sugarplum

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2007

Hi Steve,

I can't remember the name of the guest house we stayed in in Pak Beng.... but I'll do my best to try and describe how to get there! Most of the places are overpriced flee pits. And I even heard stories of the odd theft!!

As you get off the boat you have to head uphill towards the right. Near the top is a large bill board and for some reason most people continue heading right (although only been there twice!). If you TURN LEFT AT THE BILLBOARD and keep going along here (the Mekong will be on your left) you will see a posh/expensive resort on your right - just past this place on the same side (on the right at the end) is a relatively new place. The rooms were spotless and had bathrooms and I think we got them for about $4-5 for a twin. The staff were fantastic too. On the way there you pass a great Indian restaurant on the left too!

It can sometimes be manic getting everone and luggage off of the boat - I was travelling light so I jumped of with my day pack and legged it up there and booked enough rooms for my group of 7, grabbed the keys and them went back to help with the luggage - hope this helps.

Have fun,
    Luke

#4 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 17:32

• prairieox

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2006

hi Steve,

Yeap, many people get off at Vang Vieng on the bus to Vientiane. You just buy a ticket for Vang Vieng when you get to the bus station. Similarly, from Vang Vieng to Vientiane, there are many buses (you can probably buy tickets from the guesthouse or in town). We didn't stop at Vang Vieng, headed to Southern Laos instead.

In terms of guesthouses:
    Chiang Mai - we stayed at CM Blue House, there's reviews of it on Travelfish here. It was nice, had a good vibe to it.
    Huay Xai - Arimid Guesthouse. Really friendly and informative proprietor. She speaks many languages, and will be able to guide you to the boat to Luang Prabang. The guesthouse itself was a bit dark and dank (but clean), but since it was just 1 night, we didn't mind. It's right up the pier from the slow boat.
    Pak Beng - I think Luke covered it all. :)
    Luang Prabang - Jaliya Guesthouse, again, had a really informative proprietor. Good location off the main tourist area, easy walk to anywhere. It was very clean and is not far from the Southern Bus Terminal where you take your bus to Vientiane/Vang Vieng.
    Vientiane - we stayed at Mali Namphu. Great hotel-type service and breakfasts, but I'd have to say that the plumbing wasn't great in the room we were at (slow to drain, which results in very humid in-room conditions).

I think there's reviews of all these places on Travelfish.

#5 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 22:01

• SteveHickey

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

guys,

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm so looking forward to getting to SE Asia. Not long now, April 16th we get in to Bangkok.

One more thing - how long did you spend in Laos.. I was thinking (hoping) we could do all this in 10 days? ie Huay Xai to Vietiane via the boat trip to LP, and then bus to VV and on to Vietiane? Do you reckon it is doable?

Being a bit cheeky here, but we want to fly from Vietiane to Hanoi, has anyone got an idea of the cheapest or most reliable airlines?

Thanks guys!!!!

Steve

#6 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 22:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Steve,

The cheapest flight from Vientiane to Hanoi will be with Lao Airlines. They're a pretty reliable affair.

#7 Posted: 22/3/2007 - 05:48

• sugarplum

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2007

It's do-able in 10 days - but you're missing out on a great country! We stayed for 7 weeks.

You may want to note that the day you arrive in Bangkok is their (and Laos/Cambodia) New Year............

#8 Posted: 22/3/2007 - 15:13

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Someone mentioned the Mali Namphu G/H in Vientiane. Stayed there in early November, having booked by e-mail a couple of weeks earlier. On arrival, and despite the booking we got the only 2 rooms left, which is fair enough I suppose, but the rooms were dire. Ours (me and Mrs) was Room 109, it had no window, it was small, in need of a good lick of paint, but worst of all it was mozzie infested. My brother's room was on the 4th floor, and he had to negotiate 69 steep steps to it.

During our stay tour groups came and went. It seemed to me that they were the preferred clients and so got the best rooms.

Apart from the rooms the mali Namphu was a very pleasant place to stay. The stay were very (almost too) attentive, the breakfast menu changed every day, and the courtyard garden was a refreshing place for a coffee or a couple of beerlaos.

Overall I'd say the Mali Namphu is worth the $16 a night, but only if you get a decent room.

#9 Posted: 22/3/2007 - 17:35

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Ref my message above, on the 2nd line of the penultimate para "stay" should read "staff". The breakfast was very acceptable btw!

#10 Posted: 22/3/2007 - 17:44

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel by boat in Mekong River ... By HannahD on 19 Feb 2013 12 2091 27 Mar 2013
Slow boat trip Mekong river ... By Paddy1888 on 22 Nov 2013 2 461 22 Nov 2013
Mekong river trip from HCMC up to Laos ... By Indoluso on 24 Dec 2009 9 4248 27 Dec 2009
The Mekong Eyes River Cruiser - Mekong Rirver cruises ... By quannh on 27 Aug 2013 0 574 27 Aug 2013
Mekong river cruise ... By 1tsjad21 on 23 Apr 2013 1 1694 25 Apr 2013
which boat on which river in which direction? ... By ccalvin09 on 25 Mar 2011 2 1532 25 Mar 2011
Tara river boat ... By duke69 on 5 Jun 2009 0 2008 5 Jun 2009
Phnom Penh to HCMC via Mekong River ... By SoloGirls on 5 Jan 2014 1 448 5 Jan 2014
China to Thailand on Langkan/Mekong River ... By geezer on 22 Feb 2013 3 1205 15 Mar 2013
Thaton to Chiang Rai - Longtail boat on the Koh river ... By mangie on 15 Nov 2006 1 2446 16 Nov 2006