Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phi Phi to Lipe????

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi. My girlfriend and I are travelling around start of April for 3 weeks. I have the islands in my head in which I wish to go but I am having a little difficulty knowing if certain routes are available. I was hoping to travel this way; Trang - Libon - Trang - Krabi - Phi Phi - Lipe - Bulon Lae. This is the plan I hope for but I cannot find any route between Phi Phi and Lipe. So I would just like to know if there are any boats from Phi Phi to Lipe. Any help would be much obliged! Cheers!

#1 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 15:48

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi there you seem to be backtracking a little on your preferred route. If you have a look at this link it will give you all the details you need for the ferry from Phi Phi to Lipe. Leaves P.P. about 9am gets to Lipe about 2.30 pm, stopping at a number of islands on the way.
    http://www.tigerlinetravel.com/frontpage/
    hope that helps

#2 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 16:13

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

it MAY run-or not. It is prime songkran time-do inform yourself if unknown what that means.
    IF no direct-no panick-no need at all to worry about these mundane nonproblems. Then-like anywhere else in this world-you change-somewhere. is that really that hard to figure out?

#3 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 20:33

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Tigerline might run straight from Phi Phi to Lipe. If not you just need to catch a speedboat from Phi Phi to Lanta and switch to the speedboat bound for Lipe from there. This same boat stops at Bulon before Lipe... Why the back-tracking? (it would save money to do Bulon first and then on to Lipe and back to Pakbara and onwards back to Trang from there. Pakbara is also the pier for Bulon so it doesn't really make sense to do Lipe first, unless you're dead set on ending your trip on Bulon.

Otherwise, you can take the boat from Phi Phi back to Krabi and catch a bus from there back to Trang and another mini bus transfer onwards from Trang to Pakbara, which is the pier for Lipe.

It's easily doable either way. I'd check in at a travel company on Phi Phi and ask for help. Try a couple to make sure you're not getting ripped off.

#4 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 00:45

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

As for the island hopping route, according to the guide for Bulon, it says it is only up until 31st March and we will be travelling in April. The only info I have is from the guides on this website. I also only thought Bulon was directly accessible from Pakbara and Lipe. So are you saying the best route (if available due to season) is Krabi - Phi Phi - Lanta - Bulon - Lipe - Pakbara????

#5 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 06:41

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Or what about this plan guys???

Fly into Bangkok then; Krabi - Phi Phi - Lanta - Libong - Trang - Pakbara - Bulon - Lipe - Trang then back to Bangkok???????

#6 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 07:05

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

It's true that the Bundhaya speedboat, as far as I was told, runs only until March 31. There are other speedboats, however, and it seems they run until April 10. Note that things in Thailand are not usually fixed and there's a good chance some speedboat company will be running past that time. You might find this website useful:

www.kohlipethailand.com

This is a good company that's usually more than willing to help out with info (obviously they hope you buy tickets from them too). If you email them they can probably give you a definitive answer as to what boats will be running and from where.

Note - if the Bundhaya speedboat isn't running from Bulon to Lipe after March 31 it means they're not running to/from the other islands either. Again, I'm fairly certain there are other companies that will be doing the same route into April, but I can't guarantee it.

If there are speedboats running then Bulon is directly accessible from Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai, Ko Muk, or Ko Lipe, as well as Pakbara.

The second itinerary you posted looks good, although Libong is only accessible from the mainland ferry so you'll need to go from Lanta to Trang, then Libong from there, then back to Trang and on to Pakbara. Overall your second itinerary is better because it doesn't rely completely on speedboats. You know you're safe if you go to Bulon/Lipe from Pakbara.

Sorry I overlooked the March 31 thing in previous posts - I had thought it was April 31 out of memory... But I am pretty sure there will be speedboats running anyway.

If I were you I'd play it by ear and keep your options open. That's a lot of islands for a relatively short time and you might find you'd prefer to stay at one longer than expected. Personally I wouldn't worry about accommodation... You could call or email a couple places a few days before Songkran just to feel out if they're filling up or not.

#7 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 07:31

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Cheers!

I was actually just thinking that I may be trying to squeeze to many places in, in 3 weeks. Ive just been on the Tiger Line website which has been really useful, however, the prices seem to be way higher than ones quoted on this site. Is Tiger Travel boats of some sort of luxury? For example, I got quoted 1300TBH from Krabi to Phi Phi whereas this site say you can catch a boat for 350TBH.

Another thing I would like to ask is; is it advised to book flights from Trang or Krabi back to Bangkok? The reason I ask is because, like you say, I might end up staying on an island longer than planned. So basically, is it easy just to appear at the airport and get a flight same day back to Bangkok from either of these airports rather than having to book?

#8 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 08:21

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

If your flight home from Bangkok is already set it can't hurt to book an Airasia flight from Krabi. The earlier you book it the cheaper it will be. Not a bad idea considering the holiday...

#9 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 09:36

• mnemeth

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

All of those places are reachable by speed boat or ferry. Just note that its a long ride between Phi Phi and Lipe (multiple hours - I think 5.5 hrs by ferry). We recently flew into Hat Yai and out of Trang (went to Koh Tarutao, Lipe and Kradan with 8 days). I would suggest you don't zig-zag north and south too much -- check a map. Either start in the south (Lipe) and go north (Phi Phi/Krabi) or the other way around. Or just pick the north or south side of that.

Three weeks will be great in that area; all of the islands you mentioned are standouts. The other thing you could easily do is wing it -- have a general plan but change it as you go based on the islands you end up liking. The stuff you read online is helpful but I'm often surprised to find places different than I was picturing them from the reviews; things change with seasons, popularity, tides, circumstance, etc. And its more enjoyable to be on an island and forget about time than it is to spend time and effort traveling to another one...unless you tire of the one you're on.

Krabi, Trang and Hat Yai all fly back to Bangkok and they're all fine to use, but the further south the airport, the more driving time it is to get there from the piers.

Definitely pick a general direction and travel that way, with one airport on one side and a different one on the other. Don't try to do too much. Know your options (travel and accommodation) but be prepared to wing it at least a bit.

Cheers/enjoy.

#10 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 11:52

• Advertisement

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

@mnemeth

Cheers man! Yeah Ive decided to start north and work way south. Krabi - Phi Phi - Lanta - Libong - Pakbara- Bulon Lae - Lipe. I know its alot to do in 3weeks. We may end up missing out one or two as we will most likely want to stay on one island for longer but thats just our general plan. Also, with that plan I dont think there will be any long transfers. Btw do you know if there is still access to Bulon Lae in April because I heard transfer stops around mid march?
    Take it easy!

#11 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 13:13

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Bulon has a reasonable local population which needs access to the mainland, plus April is still shoulder season in the Andaman with plenty of tourists about so I reckon there will be transport from Pak Bara.
    But why not google Bulone Resort and Pansand Resort for access info to the island?

#12 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 04:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.