Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Disappointed with Koh Chang... other options?

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm on lonely beach right now, and it's ok. I rented a scooter, drove around a bit, (most of the sea side is rocks) was even considering visiting other nearby islands... But the big problem is the ocean water here is as warm as piss!

I met a Spanish couple yesterday & they said the water was the same in Cambodia... So I'm changing my plans... Maybe the beaches in Chumphon, similar to Bang Saphan Yai or Koh Lanta. I have 16 days to play with and would really just like to stay in one place if I could and spend less money... So that means not renting a motorbike everyday to get around and with cheap GH's around 300 baht - that's the most I've paid in Thailand since I've been here - Jan.3rd.

Don't want to go north or the banana pancake route.

Suggestions welcome...

#1 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 21:07

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

altmtl
    Come on man, you've been here forever, you thought it was going to be the Atlantic. Of course it's warm. It's the Bay of Siam. I'll let you in on a little secret - this time of year, there ain't no cold beaches in Thailand.

#2 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 02:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Go try Lembongan (off of Bali). I was surprised how cold the water was there. For a warm-water wuss like me, it was disappointing! I ran in and ran out again. Bah! Mind you, it's more expensive there.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 03:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Liz, I am with you. I hate cold water or cold weather.

#4 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 03:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And I haven't been, but I have heard that the water in Northern Vietnam is on the luke warm side...

#5 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 03:37

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Ok, I admit the water was a little cooler, so that was good. But seriously in the last two days it was like swimming in piss. I just want a little refreshing dip... at least my shower is cold. In general I hate the cold & winter, but I'd never seen ocean water this hot in my entire life.

#6 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 07:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Man it must be really warm then. I remmember when I went swimming at Tiwi beach in Mombassa the water was like that. But I liked it. Huge waves too. And the women were beautiful. And my bungalow was great.... Sorry, got distracted.

#7 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 11:52

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

#8 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 21:33

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Wow - glad I didn't go there in '08. Highly recommend Long Beach - Zion and Monkey Tree or whatever its called. Last time I was there the guests had just finished a voluntary cleanup of the beach and it was very clean -- bunch of hippies sure, but isolated and very clean.

#9 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 23:53

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Long beach is supposed to be very nice...

Will check out Kok Wai and Koh Maak I think...

The water was cooler today also |:) - loved my massage on the beach

#10 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 06:41

• Advertisement

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

The sea water is too warm. #firstworldbaby

#11 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 01:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Alt - google Coco Cape Resort on Ko Mak. This joint is actually quite a midrange resort but it does have some cheap overwater-on-stilts backpacker bungalows. And a lovely pool where the water wasn't all that warm three weeks ago.

Dunno abt warm water on Chang - it didn't strike me as too warm when recently in the area. But one thing I noticed - when you pushed south of Chang the water was so much clearer - that crystal clear stuff on Wai and Kut that people rave abt when talking tropical islands and not too bad on Mak. BTW Ko Wai Resort still has some 250baht bungalows. Lovely place, particularly the 3rd beach (most western) which none of the daytrippers know about. You can get a 300baht bungalow just behind this beach but it's a good 250m to the restaurant.

#12 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 04:04

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

thanks :) it was ok for a few days, now today again it was very warm water on lonely beach.

#13 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 11:28

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I LOVE warm water and hate, hate, hate cold water - to the power of three!

I loathe every cold shower I've ever had to endure due to my own cheapness in renting rooms, and nothing makes me happier than hopping into a nice warm ocean.

But that's just me - and Denis Leary if you listen to his thoughts on cold showers in that old "I'm an @hole" song.

Ko Samet has more warm water and not so warm locals for you if you're island hopping.

#14 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 11:16

• floriz

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

Hey altmtl.

The pictures you send that are showing the thash are from Long Beach, not Lonely Beach. Lonely Beach is nice and clean.

#15 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 05:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.