Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai Visa... need help!

• justjuice

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2012

Me and my Boyfriend fly into bangkok in less than a month, we are staying in asia for 3 and a half months going too Cambodia, Vietnam, China and Laos. Then we are flying back out of Bangkok.

The problem is our travel agent said that we would need a Thai multiple entry Visa for this. however, she quoted us a price exceeding 600 NZD for the both of us. which seems slightly far fetched.
    So we rang up the Thai embassy in New Zealand and they said we could enter thailand on a 30 day visa by air, then cross over into cambodia during or on the 30th day. then on our flight home we could get a 15 day visa from crossing over from Laos. However, when you enter Thailand via air you need to have proof of onward travel, since our flights will leave in three and a half months would they still give us our 30 day visa?

Also, i have read a few posts on other travel sights which claim the thai officials at immigration rarely even check to see if travelers have proof of onward travel, is this true?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 19:38

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

This is all very simple, you get a free 30 day visa exemption when you enter Thailand by air...
    So no visa required, if you fly back into Thailand from Vietnam or where ever, you get another free 30 days.

Yes if you cross by land you only get a 15 day visa exemption. But you can apply at any Thai embassy in Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos - a single entry visa for 60 days is 1000 baht.
    I've never been asked for proof of onward travel, I've always had a return ticket home anyway.

Your problem my be China, more so than Thailand. They want proof for everything apparently. Most travel agents talk **** & have never really travelled... except on 2 week package tours, so don't worry, it will be fine. I'm into my 3rd month... now in Thailand.

#2 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 21:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.