Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chang Mai

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Hi all

Any and all advice please on what we should do in Chang Mai for 5 nights - is this a decent amount of time to spend there? Also any surrounding places worth a visit?

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 12:28

• Advertisement

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

i had a great time last year in chiang mai, spent about 2 weeks there, so cheap and affordable there...

there's doi suthep temple up along the mountain, i suggust renting a motor-bike and going up there yourselves, but be careful when riding especially if you haven't before, there are alot of nice winding and curving roads, perfect for those who ride,

there's also a zoo and tiger temple park, but i never went to those...

there's also night markets just outside the square too...

oh inside the square there's a great fruit shake stand, inside the market... i'm at work right now, but can look into the details for this place, very popular place to hangout and re-fresh yourself...

when i was in chiang mai, i also went to pai and mae hong song...

#2 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 12:42

• RACHYPF

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2009

Agree with above Chiang Mai is amazing and one of my favourite places in Thailand. Excellent trekking in Don Inthanon to villages with beautiful scenery.
    Doi Suthep is stunning and well worth a full the very windy steep climb.
    The day market up by the river is fascinating, have been here twice and could spend hours wandering around. Enjoy!

#3 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 16:53

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

catherine,

i initially posted this many years ago, but it may still be useful for you. have a great time.

My essential Chiang Mai list:

- taking the overnight sleeper train either to/from Chiang Mai
    - visiting the three temples of Wat U-mong, Wat Singh, and Doi Suthep
    - enjoying a walk along the moat
    - getting lost in the traditional Thai market on Moon Muang Rd Soi 6
    - tasting the curry at Aroon Rai restaurant (profiled in Travelfish)
    - getting a massage (try the massage for the blind!)
    - a trip through the Night Bazaar, or even better, the Sunday Market
    - if you have time, an out-of-town overnight trip to Chiang Dao

I'd like to add a bit of detail to that too. For info on the overnight trip to Chiang Dao, see the Chiang Dao Getaway feature here on Travelfish. It exactly sums up the fantastic experience we had.

#4 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 23:33

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Thanks so much for your advice guys!!

I will definitely look into Chiang Dao too, I think we may have time for an overnight trip but not for spending too much time in other places as we only have 5 nights!!

Has anyone ever been to the Tiger Temple - I was looking at reviews on blogs and tripadvisor...everyone seems to have very mixed opinions on it!!

#5 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 11:12

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

If you click on 'Asia blogs' you will see there is one specifically on Chiang Mai. Might be useful to you.

#6 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 17:06

• Tonkadolls

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2012

Hey. The best place to visit in Chiang Mai is the Elephant Nature Park (ENP). It is the most fantastic sanctuary for abused and disabled elephants from the logging and trekking trade. These no rides, or tricks or any exploitation of elephants...... just a place where elephants can be elephants and live out the rest of their years in peace. Most of the other elephant farms/ park in the area are tourist/ trekking camps!!! Please dont go to these as they exploit and abuse their elephants. At the ENP you also get the opportunity to learn about the Asian elephants, the things they have endured and how to help support them. Have a great time, Chiang Mai is a beautiful place and the ENP is truely remarkable.

#7 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 19:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.