Thailand forum

Ko Sichang - Anyone one been here?

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

http://www.ko-sichang.com/ - It seems pretty much off the radar and a good alternative to Koh Samet.

#1 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 08:23

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Guess not - lol

#2 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 21:21

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

I went there a couple of months back. I probably didn't give it a chance to be fair but it didn't reallycharm me. I don't ride a motorbike but I suspect if you do and youare able to rent one there (I guess you can as I did see a couple offarangs on one), you'll be able to explore more of the island awayfrom the town and maybe find a decent spot to relax. The hotels andguesthouses that are accessible from the town are either reallyexpensive or really terrible. I would have happily stayed for acouple of days but just couldn't find any accommodation within budgetthat I was prepared to stay in.
    However ….. Si Racha which is themainland town you reach Ko Sichang from – I loved! So close toBangkok yet so Thai. It's on the coast but not the beach and theguesthouses are slightly ramshackle stilted buildings on piers righton the waters edge (similar to the old traditional ones in Hua Hin). You can get a double room for as little as 200 baht. The town has agreat night market, plenty of coffee shops and the park has freewifi! In the course of a week we saw less than a handful offoreigners; it's very traditionally Thai and not much English isspoken. Wonderful and so hard to believe Pattaya is only 30 minutesaway!

#3 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 22:49

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

#4 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 10:26

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I'd say that it is a pretty interesting island, but mostly because it isn't a major destination. It is fairly well-developed, but not with resorts. Don't go for the beaches, though. If it had great beaches, it wouldn't be, as you say, off the radar.

Lots and lots of boat traffic in the area, though, so don't expect to be looking out to empty seas. It's in a major shipping lane.

I don't think you can compare it with Koh Samet. They are entirely different places offering entirely different things.

Sri Racha, as Kristy says, is a great place. Reminded me a bit of Mahachai, and Krabi 20 years ago.

#5 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 11:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.