Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ko Sichang - Anyone one been here?

Posted by altmtl on 14/3/2012 at 08:23

http://www.ko-sichang.com/ - It seems pretty much off the radar and a good alternative to Koh Samet.

#1 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by altmtl on 14/3/2012 at 21:21

Guess not - lol

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992

Posted by KirstyB on 14/3/2012 at 22:49

I went there a couple of months back. I probably didn't give it a chance to be fair but it didn't reallycharm me. I don't ride a motorbike but I suspect if you do and youare able to rent one there (I guess you can as I did see a couple offarangs on one), you'll be able to explore more of the island awayfrom the town and maybe find a decent spot to relax. The hotels andguesthouses that are accessible from the town are either reallyexpensive or really terrible. I would have happily stayed for acouple of days but just couldn't find any accommodation within budgetthat I was prepared to stay in.
However ….. Si Racha which is themainland town you reach Ko Sichang from – I loved! So close toBangkok yet so Thai. It's on the coast but not the beach and theguesthouses are slightly ramshackle stilted buildings on piers righton the waters edge (similar to the old traditional ones in Hua Hin). You can get a double room for as little as 200 baht. The town has agreat night market, plenty of coffee shops and the park has freewifi! In the course of a week we saw less than a handful offoreigners; it's very traditionally Thai and not much English isspoken. Wonderful and so hard to believe Pattaya is only 30 minutesaway!

#3 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by altmtl on 15/3/2012 at 10:26

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992

Posted by Tilapia on 15/3/2012 at 11:19

I'd say that it is a pretty interesting island, but mostly because it isn't a major destination. It is fairly well-developed, but not with resorts. Don't go for the beaches, though. If it had great beaches, it wouldn't be, as you say, off the radar.

Lots and lots of boat traffic in the area, though, so don't expect to be looking out to empty seas. It's in a major shipping lane.

I don't think you can compare it with Koh Samet. They are entirely different places offering entirely different things.

Sri Racha, as Kristy says, is a great place. Reminded me a bit of Mahachai, and Krabi 20 years ago.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.