Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Sukhumvit - Bangkok hotel?

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

anyone stayed at Imm Fusion hotel or Nasa Vegas? These hotels are pretty cheap and see mixed reviews on Agoda and Tripadvisor. Just curious if anyone has experiense with these?
    Imm is - $28 a night and Nasa is $12 all in USD
    thanks

#1 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 09:30

• Advertisement

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

never mind...got it
    Tks

#2 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 11:59

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

NASA Vegas is NOT at Sukh-but next to the ARL at Ram station-well away from any other interesting sights. Overpriced and well worn now (used to be half the current price and was quite neat-untill anyone started seeing it from the trains). We never use that $ (WHAT $ anyway? too lazy to even know that?) here -but I am pretty sure it is HALF the price for a double (nowadays 700 bt or so)-likely 699-from their banners.
    IF a hotel has no mixed reviews on TA you can be pretty sure it only exist for 1 week or that staff is able to delete any negative. Learn to use brains and read with scepticism. PLus that TA seems much more aimed at people who are newbies and tend to stay in such safe www-promoted properties-ask there, I would say!

#3 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 21:15

• BrettC

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012
    Location United States

It sounds like you're looking for budget accommodation, which I think will make Sukhumvit a less than desirable choice for you. While there is a lot to do in any neighborhood in Bangkok, Sukhumvit is kind of far from the rest of the city. I think you'll find it's a surprisingly long subway ride in, and a taxi will take away any savings you're gaining by staying so far out, which doesn't seem to be a substantial amount.

If your heart's set on Sukhumvit as a neighborhood, I'd advise against booking a cheap place in advance. Bangkok has a wealth of inexpensive accommodation available every single night, and it's difficult to tell one place from another. Ten minutes to half an hour of looking around once you get to the area you want to stay will invariably lead to a higher quality room at a lower price than booking ahead online will give you.

#4 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 21:52

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Captainbkk - you are new to these forums. Who are you to come here and insult genuine posters with your arrogant comments, assumptions and racist comments? I think underlying all the crap you just might have some valuable experience to share with others - why can't you just comment on your views and thoughts without insulting the intelligence of others? .

#5 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 22:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

CPT
    I'm pretty thicked skinned myself, but Liz has a point here. This is insulting but hopefully was not intended to be:

"Learn to use brains and read with scepticism."

Try using this verbiage: One should be a bit sceptical when reading those reviews and perhaps interpret a little along the way as well. Or something to that effect. There's no reason to be condescending or insulting to some innocent guy just asking a simple question.

#6 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 09:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

time2fly
    Sukhimvite is a good choice for nightlife in Bangkok. It's not a good choice if you are a cultural tourist (not horrible, as you can take the BTS which will get you within range of the city center). It really depends on what you want to do once you get to the city.

#7 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 09:59

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Even near Khao San road it seems to be getting more expensive.

I have an awful room - cold shower, creaky fan, traffic noise like there's a highway running directly through the room, single mattress that sags badly in the middle - for 380 baht a night.

In 'big, bad, expensive Phuket' I was able to get a nice, quiet, clean room with fridge, wifi, hot water shower, double bed with a relatively new mattress and 2 bottles of water every day for 400 baht a night.

Granted that was about a year and a half ago, but still. Man, does my room suck.

#8 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 11:07

• BrettC

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012
    Location United States

It's true: if you're a relatively well financed heterosexual who is traveling more for local oriented clubs, Sukhumvit is the best choice. Having said that, I'd call that a relatively narrow demographic. But then again, I've been wrong before.

Carrot, you kind of have to expect that Khao San itself is going to be more expensive. It's a simple supply and demand thing; the road can't get any longer so there's a finite amount of rooms and a technically infinite number of potential room seekers. In my experience, price drops and quality improves just a couple blocks away. Even so, there are good deals to be had on Khao San and in the immediate vicinity. It just takes a lot of patience to look at different places and good haggling smile.

#9 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 21:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Brett
    I'd have to say you're wrong on this one. Reasonably well financed heterosexuals come to Thailand in droves - there's a lot of them.

But that's not the question. The question is what is time2fly looking for while he is here. I, for example, go to Bangkok for two reasons: Go to the embassy for some paperwork crap. Go to dance salsa. So for me, Sukhimvite is the perfect choice, as both of those things are in the neighborhood. Everyone has different motivations and different desires - and we can only help steer this guy with info, not knowing what his desires are.

For me, for example, Khao San Road, full of sanctimonious beatniks, is a place I can't stand. But obviously some people like it. I would always advise against anyone staying within burst radius of the place, but I'm not everyone.

#10 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 22:21

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I AM a couple of blocks from Khao San, but the price hikes seem to be affecting the outer rim now too.

I stayed at Bang Lampoo a year ago had it marked on my GPS as having rooms for 550 baht with baths. There's almost nothing I enjoy after a long day of traveling than sinking into a warm bath with a good book. Or even just a passable one.

But the unhelpful jackwad staffing the front desk first said he wouldn't go a baht below 700 a night, irrespective of length of stay, then showed me the wrong room (sans bath) anyway.

I don't care for the beatniks either.

#11 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 01:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Cranky
    It seems you've been here a long time, why don't you get an apartment?

#12 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 06:49

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I've been on the move a bit - I just got back from traveling Vietnam and Cambodia top to tail... I've had apartments in Phuket and Chiang Mai before, which were both great, but require at least a month in one spot (which is nothing compared to how it works back home).

Might just go do that in Phuket before calling it a day.

#13 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 12:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Man you ever think of coming to live in Issan for a while? I love living out here. And it's cheap.

#14 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 12:34

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I thought about it. Would be mega-cheap for sure. I heard there were a lot more farang living out there than I would have expected.

This might be a silly question, but do they have condos out there with all the mod cons, wi-fi, air con, hot water and all that? And if so, what do they run to a month, roughly?

#15 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 05:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

They have apartments like that. The best here in Muk is in the middle of town and it has everything you listed above and goes for 4,500 baht a month. Usually you have to sign on for three months though. I know a lady who owns an apartment building here that has everything you listed for 3,000 a month plus utilities and she takes people one month at a time.

#16 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 07:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh and Cranky, I know a place in Khon Kaen that is really nice and has everything you just asked for PLUS a gym and a swimming pool. Nice, nice place. It's in Lang Mo, the Univeristy quarter. If you're interested let me know.

#17 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 07:54

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Jeez, that does sound tempting.

Are there enough expats/relatively English fluent Thai people around that area to keep a conversation going?

#18 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 10:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Seriously?

That's it! I'm giving up my day job. See you out there Cranky! Get the beers line up MM.

#19 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 14:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Are there enough expats/relatively English fluent Thai people around that area to keep a conversation going?"

Learn Thai man! Damn.

But yes, Khon Kaen has a large expat community. I call it Bangkok light, because it has international food and good medical care and good nightlife.

This is the place I was talking about. One word of warning, the staff can be kind of bitchy. My son lived there and their attitudes pissed him off sometimes. But OK, they don't speak English anyway so I doubt it would bother you:

http://www.ruenthaimaingamboutiqueresort.com/en/

#20 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 00:14

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Bumming around SE Asia this long, I'm pretty good at picking up on rudeness just from tone and body language, irrespective of the language being spoken, but I can handle it. Especially if it's like a hundred dollars a month for rent.

I speak enough Thai to get by, but nowhere near enough to have a proper conversation - how long did it take you to get good enough for that MM? And how did you learn? (course?)

After reading the Khon Kaen rundown on Travefish, I have to say it sounds like a pretty livable place. I like the idea of a Bangkok lite too.

They don't speak English there? You wouldn't know it from the body-copy on their site:

"When the sun starts guard amenable to low You can sit to eat healthy" - that's inspired!

The place looks fantastic in the photos though... Maybe I'll quit collecting Thai tourist visa stamps (it's up to something ridiculous like 7 now) and get a job teaching English or something.

PS Apologies for totally hijacking this thread, but I think time2fly already got his answer and nobody seems to be too upset about it, so mai pen rai eh.

#21 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 01:40

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Oh, that place in Khon Kaen may be a little more expensive than I was expecting.

It does look nice, but the rates they state on the site are 800-3500, which is presumably per night, though they don't specify.

Do you know how much your son was paying to stay there by the month, MadMac?

#22 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 02:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

My son paid 5,500 per month plus utitlies for a quality room.

His room wasn't as nice as the wooden ones, but nice enough.

They have three charming bungalows which perhaps they might rent for something like 12,000 a month. You could always ask. They are small, but they are nice.

#23 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Cranky, there are some podcasts available in iTunes that will teach you Thai. They started out as just audio, but they include video, the script, etc, etc. I found it pretty easy to pick up the basics using them - greetings, numbers, shopping, etc. There's one called 'Learn Thai' and another one called 'Thai Lessons with Pink Chilli'. They've both been revamped and extended since I last used them 4 years ago, so can't vouch for one over the other. But you've got plenty of time on your hands to check it out. :-)

#24 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:27

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@MadMac - I emailed them earlier but haven't heard back yet

@Bizzy - I know the basics; greetings, numbers shopping already, but I suppose they'd have more advanced stuff too. Good idea. Might check em out.

Problem with those is you look like a dill walking down the street repeating the phrases, seemingly to no one in particular.

#25 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 08:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hey Cranky, if you don't actually need to be in central Bangkok, check this place out.

http://bangpli.com/

There's a decent pool, 24 hour room service and a small gym. You have to pay extra for the running machine and the sauna but the weights and stuff are free. Also there's free wifi, 24 hour room service, a small convenience store, and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Downsides are that it's hard to find (airport taxis have trouble finding the place) and there are very low flying aircraft which seem to have a flight path directly over the pool. The plane noise actually didn't bother me inside the room though and apart from that there's very little traffic noise. It takes a good hour to get into central Bangkok on public transport so it's not a convenient location if you have a lot of stuff to do in town. The area around the hotel has a small village atmosphere: klongs, a couple of temples, some Thai restaurants and an old wooden market and a Big C within walking distance. Very few foreigners about around that area (so you'd have an opportunity to practice your Thai). The hotel guests tend to be western guys with Thai wives or girlfriends rather than backpackers so it's not a particularly good place to hook up with other travelers or party but it's pretty good value for money.

#26 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 19:42

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

LOL, Yes I have got the answer I was looking for. I actually responded the other day on my phone but I forgot to confirm my message before sending, damn! I am not writing the novel again but Thanks for all your answers, Cranky and Mac.. I leave in a week and a bit and I am pumped!!!
    I will be back in Bangkok near the end of my trip anyway so I will have a good heads up where I want to stay the second time around..
    Thanks again

#27 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 20:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Have a great trip man!

#28 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 22:11

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@Madmac - I emailed those guys about the price, but it bounced back. Nevermind.

@Time2Fly - happy trails

#29 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 06:22

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@SBE - thanks. I may check those guys out too. Got to go back to Phuket first and collect some things though.

#30 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 06:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I got to go to Khon Kaen pretty soon, so I'll check the monthly rates for you. If you could get a rate on the bungalow... man, they small, but nice. Vey nice.

#31 Posted: 25/3/2012 - 01:06

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Mmmmm.... my latest mosquito-box bungalow experience on Ko Samet has pretty much put me off bungalows forever.

#32 Posted: 26/3/2012 - 04:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok hotels-Sukhumvit ... By ajetj on 12 Jun 2007 1 1486 13 Jun 2007
Bangkok Accommodation Sukhumvit ... By heke on 21 Feb 2009 6 2372 28 Feb 2009
Great new guesthouse on Sukhumvit Rd, Bangkok ... By somtam2000 on 20 Jun 2006 0 2054 20 Jun 2006