Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai gyms in Bangkok (Khao San area)

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I want to get my American-breakfast-eating butt back in shape and am having a hard time finding reasonably priced gyms in Bangkok.

I'm looking for one of those cheap 30-60 baht, no-nonsense gyms the Thais use, with plenty of free weights and benches - not some obscenely over-priced treadmill farm like California Wow.

Anyone know of such places? Somewhere close to Khao San would be ideal. I heard a Thai guesthouse worker mention a place that sounded like "Teven," but I couldn't find it (nor ascertain whether "Teven" was the name of the gym or it's location).

#1 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 11:38

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Above the fire department station house in Mukdahan - it's free. Of course, it's not near KSR.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 22:06

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Yes, I considered coming up for salsa lessons in Mukdahan - then I saw how far away it was on Google maps and thought unfondly of all the long bus rides it would entail.

#3 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 01:20

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Have you given any consideration regarding working out at one of the larger hotels? Probably more than 60 baht though. I've used the gym at the Dynasty Grande in Sukhumvit - everything you need to work off that bacon - and it was almost always empty. I can't remember the day charge though but I know it was cheaper than California Wow...

#4 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 01:54

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Everything is cheaper than California Wow. I could surgically implant silicone muscles for less than it would cost to go workout at California Wow.

They're the Fitness First* of Thailand (and I guess America) as far as I can see.

*Rip-off gym franchise in Australia

#5 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 04:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Indeed Cranky it is a long, miserble ten hour trip. I've taken it many times. Totally sucks.

#6 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 05:25

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Well, you are in Bangkok. Bumrungrad hospital has some great surgeons. Let us all know what you decide!
    Good luck Cranky!

#7 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 05:33

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Thanks all. I might just get some quick dental work done and work on my personality instead.

#8 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 12:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tips? Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Sukhothai, Northern Thailand, Ko Chang area, Khao Yai, Krabi & islands ... By sophiepops on 28 Sep 2014 10 603 30 Sep 2014
Gyms in Bangkok? ... By xan310 on 10 Jan 2012 5 846 16 Jan 2012