Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thai gyms in Bangkok (Khao San area)

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 18/3/2012 at 11:38

I want to get my American-breakfast-eating butt back in shape and am having a hard time finding reasonably priced gyms in Bangkok.

I'm looking for one of those cheap 30-60 baht, no-nonsense gyms the Thais use, with plenty of free weights and benches - not some obscenely over-priced treadmill farm like California Wow.

Anyone know of such places? Somewhere close to Khao San would be ideal. I heard a Thai guesthouse worker mention a place that sounded like "Teven," but I couldn't find it (nor ascertain whether "Teven" was the name of the gym or it's location).

#1 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 18/3/2012 at 22:06

Above the fire department station house in Mukdahan - it's free. Of course, it's not near KSR.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 19/3/2012 at 01:20

Yes, I considered coming up for salsa lessons in Mukdahan - then I saw how far away it was on Google maps and thought unfondly of all the long bus rides it would entail.

#3 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by tyler on 19/3/2012 at 01:54

Have you given any consideration regarding working out at one of the larger hotels? Probably more than 60 baht though. I've used the gym at the Dynasty Grande in Sukhumvit - everything you need to work off that bacon - and it was almost always empty. I can't remember the day charge though but I know it was cheaper than California Wow...

#4 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 19/3/2012 at 04:42

Everything is cheaper than California Wow. I could surgically implant silicone muscles for less than it would cost to go workout at California Wow.

They're the Fitness First* of Thailand (and I guess America) as far as I can see.

*Rip-off gym franchise in Australia

#5 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 19/3/2012 at 05:25

Indeed Cranky it is a long, miserble ten hour trip. I've taken it many times. Totally sucks.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by tyler on 19/3/2012 at 05:33

Well, you are in Bangkok. Bumrungrad hospital has some great surgeons. Let us all know what you decide!
Good luck Cranky!

#7 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 19/3/2012 at 12:05

Thanks all. I might just get some quick dental work done and work on my personality instead.

#8 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.