Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Beach/Island Suggestions

• dancingD

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2012

Hello!

I am traveling to Thailand with my husband and two kids (6 and 9), and we have a couple of weeks late April- mid May to be down south on some beaches.

We are looking for a mellow (not too touristy) scene, hopefully one that includes: a Thai town/village nearby with cheap eats (walking or biking distance), and snorkeling off the beach possibilities. Hikes and other activities nearby would be a plus, too.

Thanks for your ideas!!

#1 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 13:55

• Advertisement

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

Have a look at Koh Lanta, Koh Kradan, Koh Lipe and Koh Phayam.

#2 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 07:39

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Agree with above. Also try Koh Muk, Koh Libong and Koh Ngai.

#3 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 09:17

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

+1 for Koh Lanta

#4 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 16:24

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um, Lanta is real nice but snorkelling off the beach is not strong. However snorkelling on the Trang Island daytrips available everywhere on Lanta is real nice - not to mention the fabulous Emerald Cave on Ko Muk.

Phayam is a sweet island - has your other asks but not good snorkelling.

Kradan has good snorkelling, but forget the village.

Hey, oft-maligned Lipe can do all your asks. One reason it is knocked is because of overcrowding - but not in April (away from any Thai holiday). I might just make it there myself in April.

Other possibilities? Check travelfish and others re Coral Beach on Ko Phangan.

#5 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 01:38

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Thought I'd add Coral Beach is better known as Had Khom. The nearby fishing village is Chaloklum, maybe 1km to the west on a good sealed road (a bit steep in parts) on Phangan's north coast. Chaloklum has not been dominated by touristy things and has a nice local character.

I wish I could say this for the villages on nearby Ko Tao which has some of the better snorkelling off the beach in Thailand. But all the village areas I know are as much/more touristy than local in flavour. Maybe someone could correct me here.

#6 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 02:43

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Wait, there's more! (Jeez, I wish I could think of all this stuff in my original answer).

Some real good trekking can be had out of Had Khom. Head east over the steep divide on a well marked track from near the end of the sealed road and you come to the north coast's nicest beach, Bottle Beach (aint got good snorkelling or a nearby village).
    You can climb to a terrific viewpoint to the east of the beach. Or continue up the road into Bottle Beach from the south coast and eventually hike into Thong Nai Pan. Hell you can keep going from there down to Than Sadet.
    But you would be flat out to do all this in a full day return.

#7 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 02:48

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Gotta be more specific river. What sort of place are you looking for? Laid back, party, fantastic landscape, snorkelling, diving, culture, budget, high end yada?

#8 Posted: 8/4/2012 - 02:38

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Krabi, Lanta, Mook should fit the bill.

#9 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 09:48

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

Krabi is nice and also Maya Bay, just some nice beaches in Thailand, surely you and your family will enjoy and relax.

#10 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 06:05

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
island/beach suggestions, phu quoc worth it? ... By elizabethmary on 28 Aug 2009 2 3413 29 Aug 2009