Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel during/before Songkran

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi I will either be flying from Glasgow, Scotland on Monday 9th April or Tuesday 10th which means I would arrive Bankok the following day from either flight. I know it would be more convenient travelling on the Monday, arriving Tuesday but the thing is, it is about £200 more expensive for flights departing Monday (£400 total with my partner).

As soon as we arrive in Bangkok we will be getting another flight down to Krabi. Is it unadvisable to take the cheaper option and depart Tues and arrive Wed 11th Bangkok because of Songkran? What I would like to know, will it really be that hectic on the 11th? Is it worth saving money or more advisable to travel the day before?

I will be booking accomodation during the celebratory period anyway so I wont have the issue trying t find somewhere to stay.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 15:46

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

It will be hectic but if you already have accomodations booked this will alleviate most of the stress. Also, if you are immediately leaving BKK and heading to Krabi then you should be fine, as long as this is already booked. Otherwise you may have a hard time getting there, as all modes of transport will probably already be full.

#2 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 09:21

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Personally, I doubt all modes of transport will be full.

If you're not even leaving the airport in Bangkok you won't have anything to worry about there. When you get to Krabi there will indeed be the usual songthaews and motorbike taxis to take you where you need to go, but if your means of transport isn't completely enclosed you might be drenched to the bone by the time you get there. :)

Seriously, don't worry about problems, but do cover any electronics in a rain cover of some kind while outside during Songkran, and unless it's waterproof use your camera at your own risk.

#3 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 04:27

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Err .... have you actually booked your flights to Krabi yet Jamie? If not and all the flights are full then you may have to stay in Bangkok a few nights after all. The main exodus from Bangkok will probably be just before Songkran and on the first day of the holiday. One good thing about Bangkok during Songkran is that there are far fewer traffic jams and the skytrain and underground aren't as busy either. During Songkran you can actually get a seat on the skytrain during rush hour... the only other time I've seen this happen was the day after the coup in 2006.

BTW be sure and put all electronics (cameras, phones ipods etc) in ziplock plastic bags to protect them from the water that will get thrown at you.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 20:02

• theChosenOne

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2012

As long as you have your accommodation sorted for Songkran it will be fine.

#5 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 00:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.