Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

What to wear to temples?

• escape4ever

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2012

I have been told a few different things about what I can wear to temples. Can capris be worn or does it have to be pants? Any advice on this would be great.

#1 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 19:59

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I wear capris all the time, never a problem.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 20:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Capris are reasonably conservative apparrel, so I can't imagine it would be a problem. Just use common sense. Wear something decent and clean and you'll be fine. It's not quite the same thing as going to church - where people wear their "Sunday best". But if you did wear that level of clothing, that would be OK too. Avoid the "grunge" look, and worse avoid actually being grungy.

#3 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 21:50

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

At the Grand Palace you will have the touts telling you that your shoes and stuff are not Ok and want to take you someplace to buy something proper. Right inside is a place where they will give you whatever you need.

#4 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 21:56

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

really? That's hilarious...

#5 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 22:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There's always someone trying to run a scam. If they ain't cheatin', they ain't tryin'

#6 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 22:04

• escape4ever

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2012

Thanks for the info. Just heard from a friend who just got back and she said a girl was sent back to change as she was wearing capris. Guess I'll chance it.

#7 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 16:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It can depend on whether you or girl or guy maybe?

When visiting a mosque in Putrajaya, my capris were longer than the capri's that my male friend was wearing. I had to wear a pink 'bunny suit' over the top of my clothing (even though my shoulders were covered) to enter the temple whereas he didn't. At least there was no one there trying to sell me something to wear - the mosque provided the pink gowns.

#8 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 17:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I think it depends on the temple too. We have a Thai girl who sells drinks over at the temple across my street and she's wearing short shorts and a spaghetti strap top. But it's just a regular, everyday temple and she doesn't go into the buildings, she's just on the grounds selling her stuff.

#9 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 00:25

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Obviously I've been out of the scene for awhile because I've never heard of Capris.Can someone enlighten me?

#10 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:04

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

You can google it up - they're the three quarter length pants that are popular with kids today, as well as backpackers.

#11 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:08

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

as #9 said, it depends on the temple. & whether you enter the temple buildings (esp consecrated areas) or need to talk to a monk.

in Thailand, some temples have 'Royal status' (further subdivided into Special Class, Class 1, Class 2 & Class 3) - these tend to be the major ones in Bangkok & province capitals, & the ones that many tourists visit (e.g. Temple of the Emerald Buddha within the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Suthat & the Marble Temple in Bangkok, & Wat Phra Singh in Chiangmai). dress code is stricter in these temples, & enforced for the 'highest class' ones. strictest dress code is for the Temple of the Emerald Buddha - the only one that has 'Special Class' status (& palaces incl Vimanmek Mansion): http://www.palaces.thai.net/day/new/gp/helpful_gp.htm

& then you have the smaller temples all across the country, both in towns & the countryside. they are public areas/community space, serving as carparks, space for kids to play in, festival grounds, etc. here, just need to keep knees & shoulders covered (midriff too - have seen tourists who think that 'knees & shoulders covered' means they can wear really short tops & low slung jeans, exposing their belly & butt crack), so capris are fine. locals do bare their shoulders - if they are old wizened grandmothers or women in full traditional dress for festivals/events.

there are also a relatively small number (~5%) of temples belonging to the Dhammayut order (some people refer to them loosely as the 'forest tradition') e.g. Wat Bowon in Bangkok (many are in Isaan) - dress code (& even behaviour code) in these temples tend to be stricter.

#12 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"locals do bare their shoulders - if they are old wizened grandmothers or women in full traditional dress for festivals/events."

The times they are a changin' because the woman I referenced is about 25 with a damn nice body. It's the reason I remmember.

#13 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:24

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#13:
    i've seen locals dressed like that on temple grounds too. but as you said earlier, they don't step inside the temple buildings like the ubosot.

#14 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 04:32

• escape4ever

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2012

All great info..thanks! Wanderingcat I just read the link you posted. It says sandals without ankle straps can't be worn either. Do you actually wear shoes in the temple or do you take them off?

#15 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 08:10

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#15:
    footwear is removed only when entering temple buildings, entering the area immediately around the main chedi/stupa (this is only in some temples though), or presenting offerings to a monk. most temples that are tourist attractions will have 'no shoes' signs in English at the entrance of temple buildings, & in some cases racks for footwear too.

that link is specifically for the Temple of the Emerald Buddha inside the Grand Palace grounds, & other royal palaces, which have the strictest dress code & actively enforce it. with the exception of these places, i've been wearing flipflops to temples in Thailand for 25+ years :P

#16 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 10:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh, this was a good one. Last week (or the week before, I lost track) we had a ceremony here at this memorial for the two princeses who died in the Mekong when a storm suddenly blew in. At least that's the story. There's a little shrine there. So what did they have at the ceremony? Coyote dancers. I kid you not. We got monks chanting, food... and then coyote dancers. A Thai friend of mine was there and I said "What's wrong with this picture?" and she said wondering the same thing.

#17 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 06:13

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

Most temples I've been to let me in wearing flip flops, shorts and a T-shirt.

The exception to this is Wat Phra Kaew. You will need to wear a shirt that at least covers your shoulders and long (ish) trousers. Flips flops appear to be a no-no and so shoes/trainers need to be worn.

When I went with someone wearing shorts, the staff directed him into a side office where he rented some trousers and then got back his deposit on the way out.

Thais, however, can walk in wearing whatever the hell they want to. And they do!

#18 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 04:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.