Thailand forum

Koh Maak or Koh Kood?

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I hate to bring this up again, but I'm still trying to figure out which island to go to...

I'm heading to Koh Wai next, then my plan was Koh Maak... more affordable, but not as nice beaches so I'm told. Koh Kut - beautiful beaches, but very expensive to stay & that includes transport... (speed boats only)

opinions welcome.

#1 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 00:28

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Sorry Tezza, I forgot all about your post:

"Alt - google Coco Cape Resort on Ko Mak. This joint is actually quite a midrange resort but it does have some cheap overwater-on-stilts backpacker bungalows. And a lovely pool where the water wasn't all that warm three weeks ago.

one thing I noticed - when you pushed south of Chang the water was so much clearer - that crystal clear stuff on Wai and Kut that people rave abt when talking tropical islands and not too bad on Mak. BTW Ko Wai Resort still has some 250baht bungalows. Lovely place, particularly the 3rd beach (most western) which none of the daytrippers know about. You can get a 300baht bungalow just behind this beach but it's a good 250m to the restaurant."

I guess Koh Mak then :)

#2 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 00:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um, well I reckon Ko Mak is sweet, but Kood is better. And there is budget accommodation - those places up the klong in Baan Chao (Jao) that travelfish and others mention are cool, with over-water restaurants and a nice kayak paddle down to one of the better beaches on the island. Plus a prety cool waterfall maybe 30 minutes walk up river.

But yeah, you have to factor cost of getting there from Wai. However there is a good 350 baht express boat (free shuttle to the pier) back to the mainland at Laem Sok which includes free transport the 30km or so into Trat - that's way cheaper and faster than going back via Chang etc.

#3 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 02:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Maak or Koh Kood? ... By Pinefire on 7 Dec 2008 1 1940 8 Dec 2008
Koh Chaan or Koh Maak or Koh Kood?? ... By 4439 on 4 Oct 2007 4 2179 5 Oct 2007
Koh Kood Resort and Spa, KOh Kood, Trat Province ... By carmen on 27 Feb 2007 0 2107 27 Feb 2007