Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Dinner in Bangkok for business group

• embeejay78

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2012

Hello. I will be in Bangkok in May for a convention and I have to plan a dinner for about 10-12 of our senior executives. Any suggestions on where to go? Our budget is flexible and we'd like a somewhat laid back atmosphere where we can talk, relax after a a long day at the convention, and enjoy a delicious meal and and drinks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 22:12

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Best suggestion I can give is to try another site/forum. The majority here only know streetstalls due to limited budgets.
    Try the Tripadvisor Bangkok forum. More business, mid and high budget travelers there.

#2 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 22:51

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I haven't tried any of these places as I am one of the budget constrained travelers that eastwest mentions.

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/eat/city-essentials/best-bangkok-high-end-thai-restaurants-arent-hotel-413438

Try looking up reviews here.
    http://bk.asia-city.com/

#3 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 23:23

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi when in Bangkok, we try and have one meal at the place below. Fantastic spanish foods and wine, not cheap but very authentic. They now have a second place open on Silom Soi 4, but have only ever eaten at the Sukhumvit soi 11. Absolutely love it after a few weeks eating Thai food etc.

cheers

http://www.tapascafebangkok.com/

#4 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 23:34

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

give Cabbages and Condoms a look. it's on Sukhumvit Soi 12. i make it a point to visit every time i'm in Bangkok. i've seen quite a few business and government dinners take place there.

#5 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 23:46

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

@ eastwest - not true at all

OP i suggest you visit Vertigo. Great dining, chilled out atmosphere and an excellent bar. You will not regret it
    http://www.banyantree.com/en/bangkok/experience_the_resort/dining/vertigo_and_moon_bar

#6 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 04:57

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

9gems. Do you really think that the majority here aren't backpackers on a small budget? I'd suggest to open a few random posts on the forum.

And Vertigo is highly overrated for food. For those prices ($300+) it is at most mediocre. I have eaten there and would never recommend it to anyone for the food. Fabulous views and well-designed with good drinks it is more a tourist attraction than a really nice place to talk and kick back.

#7 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 05:27

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

Im not saying people who post on here arent backpackers. HOwever to say that this post belongs somewhere else is preposterous. Plenty of backpackers like the occassional splurge and others who read this site do go on shorter/higher budget holidays to Asia. But thanks for your suggestion to read some other threads on the forum. Inspired.

As for the food at Vertigo. Im sorry yours was mediocre however on my visit i really enjoyed the kobe steak on offer and had some wonderful relaxing times with friends.

#8 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 05:33

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Really you've read things between the lines that weren't there. You've interpreted my first post as if I was chasing OP away. It was just my honest advice as stated. I never said or implied that "it belongs somewhere else"
    Wouldn't you agree that this isn't the best site/place to find a place for 12 executives?
    The replies so far are telling enough for me and your reply to me for not being true was rebutted with the advice to look at the forum. Nothing more than that. Let's not start an unnecessary argument here.

Anyway, regarding the food at Vertigo. It is exactly food like Kobe beef that I find too easy for such a place. For those prices you expect the finest of the finest (don't get me wrong Kobe beef is fantastic) with lots of creativity and vision and the latter two were absolutely lacking there.
    You pay for the location and coolness-factor. Perhaps it fits the bill for the 12 executives.

#9 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 06:20

• embeejay78

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2012

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I too am a backpacker, and when I'm traveling, I'm on a very tight budget. That's why I posted this question - I'm rarely able to visit nice and upscale restaurants, and I've never been to Thailand, so planning this type of dinner is foreign territory to me, so I thought to turn to those who may have suggestions, either from experience or word-of-mouth. I will be able to do some traveling on my own after the convention, and this site has been great for guidance on recommendations that fit more into budget, interests and comfort level. Thanks again, everyone!

#10 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 08:48

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.