Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Rai, Chiang Dao or Mae Sariang?...with kids

Posted by quennoo on 23/3/2012 at 00:25

Hi we are traveling to Chiang Mai in dec staying 7 nights at the Rimping Village then we have 4 nights before we take the overnight train to BK.
We have 3 kids (5,6 and 8 years) so are trying to limit long stretches of car travel - we are doing 'slow travel'!
We are interested in the landscapes, local culture, short walks eg a few hours- maybe a hill tribe home stay?

which destination do you think is best? CR, Mae Sariang or Chiang Dao?
Any advice or tips on accommodation would be great!
thanks

#1 quennoo has been a member since 4/1/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 23/3/2012 at 04:45

"We are interested in the landscapes, local culture, short walks eg a few hours- maybe a hill tribe home stay"

If your kids are interested in doing any of this, I will be really surprised. Kids like water. So finding a place they can swim is a great option for them. The hotel you've picked is a good choice, since the kids will doubtless like th epool. They couldn't care less about culture though. Have you considered Pattaya for a beach trip? It's got a bad rap (justifiable in some ways), but via Agoda you can find some great deals there on superb hotels with private (hence clean) beaches the kids would probably love. I took my five year old daughter to one, and she was in heaven and we had a lovely room at a very good rate.

If you are determined to go north, I would recommend Chiang Rai... but perhaps some others more familiar with this part of Thailand have some more specific insights.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.