Thailand forum

Cost of High Season Vs Low Season

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

The last time we visited Thailand it was mid-June to end of July, the time before that it was mid May-mid July. So essentially both times pretty much 'low' season. We were paying 500b-700b per night for private a/c double rooms with own bathroom.

When we go back to SE Asia we will probably be there end of feb/start of March to end of May/start of June, and will be in Thailand at some point during these months. My question is how much more should we expect to pay for things in Thailand if we're there before the low season begins (which is in April I think...)? And is it just accomodation and souveniers from the market that go up in price, or also food, transport etc?

#1 Posted: 25/3/2012 - 12:57

• Advertisement

• theChosenOne

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2012

It totally depends on where you go. I have never noticed much difference in Bangkok but I went down to Phuket for a couple of months last year to learn Muay Thai and the difference was huge. I had already sorted out my accomm for two months so it did not affect me, but some of the people staying shorter term were complaining about their bungalow owners asking for forty or fifty percent more money on the first day of high season. Most of the owners would not bargain either. My friends had to move else where to get a cheaper deal.

#2 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 00:09

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Generally speaking there are little or no price changes in Bangkok or inland Thailand during rainy season, but as Chosen One pointed out, the difference in the islands and along the coasts is significant. This is usually only for accommodation -- food and transport costs generally remain the same. However, in low season a lot of boats stop running to the islands so getting to them can be more expensive because the only way is often to charter a private boat (depends on the island).

As a rule it's usually a 50% mark up on accommodation on most islands -- and some spots along the coast -- during high season, and often a 75% mark up in peak season (late Dec. to early Jan.). A lot of places have a definite rule that high season starts on Nov. 1 and ends April 1 while others will hold off or be negotiable through November and in March. Some try to charge high season rates in October or April so there's no definite rule on this.

You'll be there from shoulder season in to low season, so if you're heading to the islands you'll probably have to pay more in March but should definitely look for cheaper prices starting April 1. By June a lot of islands (especially west coast ones) will be deserted anyway. You'll be able to get to most islands but just finding an open restaurant can be a challenge on the quieter ones at that time.

#3 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 03:57

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Dluek has it right. Only one more: around Songkran=14/4 it is often high season for Thai and in places aiming at Thai holidaymakers. Plus that most transport is mobbed out. These seasonal prices only apply to accomodation and only in the mid/high end-at the low end (but that is by now nearly absent from populair beachside places) there is not much room for further discount on what is already very low anyway. Often discounts-if given-only apply for longer stays, not just 1 night. You can mostly gain much higher discount by not being not so scary to prebook all places in advance-the cheap places are not online and do not such strange farang habits.

#4 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 07:05

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

When travelling on the cusp of low season, it's always worth asking for a discount. The worst that they can do is say no.

I always ask the rate for one night, then I will ask things like:

- can you offer low season rate?
    - can you discount if I don't have breakfast included?
    - can you discount since it's just for a single person? (esp good if breakfast is normally included - why pay for two if it's just you?)
    - can you offer discount if I stay for 3 nights?

You'd be surprised how many times how many times a little bit will get knocked off the price. Not always, but sometimes.

#5 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 14:37

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Actually good hotels drop their prices by a good 30-40% in Bangkok. I'm talking 3,4,5 star hotels not budget guesthouses who might only drop by 100-200 baht.

#6 Posted: 28/3/2012 - 10:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
High vs Low Season ... By rledez1990 on 25 Mar 2012 2 2886 25 Mar 2012
high season ... By barrylad66 on 10 Mar 2008 2 3078 11 Mar 2008
Ko Chang in High Season ... By oweka540 on 18 Oct 2008 2 3041 19 Oct 2008
High season reservations ... By Nokka on 6 Apr 2009 4 2505 29 Apr 2009
No Pre-booking during high season ? ... By Planethopper on 12 Aug 2012 3 2010 14 Aug 2012
High season Burma ... By joaquin55555 on 3 Oct 2013 8 2203 11 Feb 2014
is it high season next month in Chiang Mai? ... By waterwater on 27 Feb 2006 1 2213 27 Feb 2006
Con Dao or Phu Quoc (high season January) ... By Foolslena on 27 Jun 2013 4 3099 7 Jan 2014
Booking bus, train and ferry during high season ... By JesseNYC on 28 Nov 2009 1 1940 29 Nov 2009
Booking Flights While in Myanmar - HIGH season ... By jesso435 on 30 Jul 2014 8 1127 9 Sep 2014