Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itenerary advice

• Goatboy22382

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2012

Myself and a couple of friends are flying into Bangkok may 12th and have right at 3 weeks before we have to leave. We want to see as much as we can without feeling rushed so we will mostly be flying between destinations.

Our current plan is to take the sleeper train to chiang Mai on the 13th. On the 16th we will fly to Luang Prabang. Then we will fly from luang prabang to siem reap on the 23 to do a day at the temples. On the 25th we will grab a flight to krabi or koh samui for week before flying back to Bangkok on the first of June.

I know that we're trying to squeeze a lot in but my hope is that by flying we will alleviate most of the travel woes and by staying a full week in Laos and on the islands we will have some restful days. Are we crazy or does this seem reasonable?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts,

-Mike

#1 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 11:20

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

7 days actually seems like a lot around Luang Prabang, maybe better to fly from Vientiane so that you can spend a few days in LP, a couple in Vang Vieng, and then fly out from Vientiane to Siem Reap - see a little more of the country that way. Unless your plan is to go from LP up to Nong Kiaow and Mung Ngoi and then come back into LP to fly down to Siem Reap. As you've made special plans to see Angkor Wat I'm assuming you are willing to shell out for the flight and visa just for one day - and that is the only part of the schedule that looks really rushed - otherwise you could cut that out and spend the extra time and money on a hike in the Chiang Mai area - it appears you are just checking out the city for two days.

#2 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 03:02

• raiasia

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2012

hi..
    im travelling solo.. im planning to go bangkok then chiangmai..ill be travelling from may 12 to may 20. i only have a week to travel so im not sure if would be able to cross laos then from laos back to singapore

#3 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 08:57

• Goatboy22382

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2012

We plan on traveling out of luang prabang, not really sure where yet. We planned on skipping Angkor entirely but at the urging of several friends we're squeezing it in. Thoughts about whether we should fly into Krabi or koh samui? She we be worried about rain at the end of May?

#4 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 13:35

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I find Luang Prabang a little over rated, I spent 5 days there in Feb. only because I had the time, but it is quite touristy compared to other places in Laos and more expensive. I was in Laos a month. Siem Reap - I loved that place 7 yrs ago, but people who have been lately just couldn't believe the bus loads of tourists... kinda of hard to take a good pic I imagine :)

#5 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 14:43

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

It is quite a bit but since you are flying everywhere it is definitely doable.

I agree that Angkor Wat is a must....The weather should be fine in both Krabi and Samui in May.

#6 Posted: 5/4/2012 - 20:39

• changnoi1

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2010
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

If you have not been in a city like Bangkok I would take some time to explore Bangkok. After more as 12 years living here I still love the way of life along the Chao Phraya.

Indeed take the train to Chiang Mai and explore Chiang Mai and surroundings.

7 days Luang Prabang is great. Take the time to feel home and really meet the town and its surroundings. It is much more as beautiful temples, good food and the night market.

But then flying to Siem Reap to visit the remains of the "Greater Khmer Kingdom" seems a bit of of character. If you want to see it take at least 3 days or just skip it.

Remember traveling is not going from A to B but enjoying the journey from A to B. With flying everywhere you will be missing a lot of local culture.

Chang Noi

#7 Posted: 8/4/2012 - 03:42

• Goatboy22382

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2012

Everything is confirmed, hopefully we don't get to worn out.

Anyone recommend a guest house in Chiang Mai?

#8 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 12:36

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

This one looks great to me. Good location and old-style backpacker charm...

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailandadditions/7991_ginny-place-guesthouse-in-chiang-mai

#9 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 18:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rough Six Month Itenerary: Thoughts, advice? ... By kbs84 on 13 Apr 2011 3 3205 13 Apr 2011
Northern Thailand and Laos: itenerary advice ... By bellatrx on 6 Oct 2009 1 2104 6 Oct 2009