Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3 weeks / 4 countries?

• GetOutOfFLo-
    rida

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2012

I posted this a few minutes ago, but it didn't look quite right:

Heading to SE Asia for 3 weeks with my girlfriend and looking to see the best sights. I realize we are "flying" through, but we don't get enough vacation time. She wants Halong Bay, I want Luang Prabang, and we both want Bangkok and Angkor.

Is there anything here that stands out good or bad? We want to see breathtaking beauty and cool sites. I am a history buff and she loves nature. She would like to exchange a flight for a cruise somewhere, but I don't see how to possibly do this.

Also, can anyone recommend any good day tours? I listed in italics some sights we want to see.
    Thanks for any feedback.....

Arrive Bangkok
    Bangkok
    Bangkok (Ayutthaya)
    Bangkok (Kanchanaburi)
    Bangkok
    Leave for Phnom Penh --Thai Air
    Phnom Penh
    Leave for Siem Reap --(bus) Mekong Express
    Siem Reap (Angkor)
    Siem Reap (Angkor)
    Leave for Luang Prabang --Lao Avaition
    Luang Prabang (Elephant Village)
    Luang Prabang (Kung Su Falls & Pak Ou Caves)
    Leave for Vientiane --Lao Avaition
    Vientaine
    Leave for Hanoi --Lao Avaition
    Hanoi
    Leave for Halong Bay - (bus)
    Halong Bay
    Leave for Bangkok --Thai Air
    Leave for Home

#1 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 16:51

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Cut Luang Prabang and Halong bay and fly from Bangkok directly to Siem Reap and it's reasonable. This is WAY too much movement which will eat into your time like a termite through wood.

#2 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 13:54

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

This is is too much for 3 weeks - visiting a few cities in each city and then claiming you've been to SEA. I just don't like this kind of flash packer travel.

#3 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 02:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It's just not good value for the money. I mean, if you got the cash to burn for flights and visa expenses, rather than race around to get a few happy snaps (which is all you are allowing yourself time to do), go to a nice location somewhere in Thailand and get a five star hotel and live fat. It'll be a lot more fun for sure. I can't see on what level doing the above makes any sense. It's too rushed to enjoy any of these places or get much out of each visit.

#4 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 06:01

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Would you consider spending all of you three weeks in Thailand? Few days in BKK, a week up North trekking and eating your way through Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, a few days somewhere really off the beaten path and then finish with a week on the beach down South.

This would be a good mix of places and activities but does not involve a criminal amount of air miles, under-utilised visa fees and all the rest that goes with this type of travel. Seriously, you will return home feeling like you need another holiday. Somebody on here put it quite well - when you travel this fast, all of your memories merge into one and you will struggle to recount different places in your memories.

#5 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 09:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

If you've got the money to burn, I have to say I stayed at a five star hotel with my wife in North Pattaya with a private beach and it was great. I can't afford to do that that much, but it was a really nice time, and I don't even like the ocean. It sounds like the OP has the money - he just doesn't have the time to do what he wants to do above and enjoy it.

#6 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 12:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.