Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Jeep rental - Samui

Posted by time2fly on 31/3/2012 at 10:03

Anyone has any experience with this? Do you advise for or against it? Just thought it would be a good way to explore the Island.. Also how does Insurance work?

#1 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112

Posted by busylizzy on 1/4/2012 at 01:57

I haven't done it in Samui, but have rented a small jeep in Koh Phangan a few times. It's an excellent way to get around and see some areas that you wouldn't be able to easily get to otherwise. The last time I hired one was in 2010, 2000baht for 3 days. Insurance? What insurance? They take your passport as insurance!

Seriously, I had an issue with leaving my passport. Even said 'forget it', walked away for an hour before going back with tail between my legs. I tried to leave a photocopy, but they wouldn't have it.

I hired from a small local place (a cafe opposite the pier) in KPN. I would imagine there are more options in Samui, including some of the larger, but more expensive firms that might have insurance options.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by time2fly on 1/4/2012 at 06:29

Thanks so much lol... So you did leave your passport?
I may just rent it in Koh Phangan
So in exchange for insurance they take your passport. So if you are to get in an accident you pay cash I assume? Thanks again, I will probably check the place out that you rented from..

#3 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112

Posted by time2fly on 1/4/2012 at 06:32

Hey Lizzy, Just read your other posts...Questions answered!!! Thanks again

#4 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112

Posted by busylizzy on 1/4/2012 at 15:02

No worries - happy to help!

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.