Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Jeep rental - Samui

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Anyone has any experience with this? Do you advise for or against it? Just thought it would be a good way to explore the Island.. Also how does Insurance work?

#1 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 10:03

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I haven't done it in Samui, but have rented a small jeep in Koh Phangan a few times. It's an excellent way to get around and see some areas that you wouldn't be able to easily get to otherwise. The last time I hired one was in 2010, 2000baht for 3 days. Insurance? What insurance? They take your passport as insurance!

Seriously, I had an issue with leaving my passport. Even said 'forget it', walked away for an hour before going back with tail between my legs. I tried to leave a photocopy, but they wouldn't have it.

I hired from a small local place (a cafe opposite the pier) in KPN. I would imagine there are more options in Samui, including some of the larger, but more expensive firms that might have insurance options.

#2 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 01:57

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Thanks so much lol... So you did leave your passport?
    I may just rent it in Koh Phangan
    So in exchange for insurance they take your passport. So if you are to get in an accident you pay cash I assume? Thanks again, I will probably check the place out that you rented from..

#3 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 06:29

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Hey Lizzy, Just read your other posts...Questions answered!!! Thanks again

#4 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 06:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

No worries - happy to help!

#5 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 15:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ATV/Jeep Rental Pakse ... By bass_ke on 8 Nov 2009 5 4603 5 Dec 2009
Jeep / Quad rental on Ko Phangan for 7+ days ... By alt on 20 Dec 2011 3 3437 21 Dec 2011
Spare jeep seats on Koh Samui - Fancy a ride? ... By benandrews84 on 13 May 2011 0 1381 13 May 2011