Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Pai - Should I bother?????

• PeterJW

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011

Hello

I'm currently in Chang Mai. Its OK but to be honest its just another town to me, but I don't dislike it or anything like that and certainly wouldn't say don't go!

However, someone I spent some time with earlier in the year said Pai was amazing, when others have said its not all that. I'm heading to Koh Tao to go kickboxing for at least a month, maybe 2 - 3 if I can afford it so budget is becoming more of an issue to me. Is Pai worth losing a few days for and a good few 1000 bht or so (accommodation, fod, transport etc) or not. Any info from anyone who has been recently would be really appreciated. I resorted to coin toss earlier tonight and Pai lost to the going south option. Please tell me why is Pai so good?

#1 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 11:09

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Pai is a very touristy town, but nice... if you don't have the time or desire however - head south. I can't say I was that thrilled with Koh Tao :) It's really a matter of personal choice. Most people go to Ko Tao to dive, not for kickboxing. For that Chang Mai may be the better choice. Depends on the climate you're looking for... if you prefer the beach, head south. Missing Pai would not be the end of the world - :)

#2 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 18:19

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Don't bother. It's a small town and very touristy. Unless you book a trek or get your own transport there's no point going. Walking around Pai is less interesting than CM.

Samui has better muay thai (note this is not watered down kickboxing). They have better trainers and better pro fights to watch. It's a much bigger island too so better for exploring. Tao is known for snorkelling and diving.

#3 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 19:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Not to disparage it - I'm sure you've done your homework. But Muay Thai is a serious and dangerous combat sport. People die every month in the ring. It ain't for the faint of heart or something to just play around with.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 00:23

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Where is the evidence of many people dying? I've followed the sport for a long time and haven't heard of many deaths at all. In fact only 1 I know of in 8 years. People are more likely to die from boxing due to repeated blows to the head. In MT a variety of techniques are used and the body and legs are attacked more than the head.

The guy was talking about training not pro fights. Big difference.

#5 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 07:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Do you watch and read Thai news? It's in the news all the time. Muay Thai shares the same pummeling, and elbows are particularly lethal. Don't kid yourself. Muay Thai is a dangerous sport.

#6 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 13:00

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

As I said I follow the sport unlike yourself so don't make rash comments based on hearsay and rumours. There are more deaths in rugby and boxing. Blunt strikes are more likely to cause brain damage and with rugby, players can break their necks. Elbows cause a lot of cuts and MT fighters get a lot of leg and rib injuries but deaths are rare.

Muay boran had much more deaths but headbutting was allowed and there was little regulation or rules. Pro fighters are now well protected by refs and they step in very quick if someone is in trouble.

The guy was talking about training which women and children do and it's very safe and not dangerous at all so don't post irrational misinformed comments please.

Driving on the road in Thailand is far more deadly and dangerous and I'm sure you've done that many times.

According to the World Health Organization, drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury related deaths (est. 388,000 deaths by drowning in 2004, excluding those due to natural disasters

I bet you swim as well

#7 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 20:38

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

#8 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 21:02

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"It ain't for the faint of heart or something to just play around with"

So why do 6yo kids and girls do it? It's great for fitness levels. Like going to a boot camp but more fun. Go get a couple of lessons and then come back when you actually know what is involved.

#9 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 22:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

If you are just working out in a gym, of course it's fine (as long as you take it easy on the knees and shins and aren't sparring in your workouts). But if you are going to fight, whoa...

I'm a boxer and I have trained in a small Muay Thai gym in Issan (where I live). Now I've boxed a long time, and I don't compete anymore, but I can see what these guys do and the level of injuries is high. I'm sure in a tourist setting it is different, I'm just saying be careful.

#10 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 23:08

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.