Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Am I too young to travel solo?

• ashereme

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2012

Hi, I am looking to travel all throughout SE Asia (Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam,Laos) for about 8 weeks, and for 4 of those weeks I would be alone...what is the age range for backpackers especially solo travelers in this area? I am only 18 almost 19, and I am just worried that I may be too young compared to other backpackers and will therefore have a harder time meeting people. Let me know what you think,,
    Thanks for your help!

#1 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 22:35

• Advertisement

• cajaquiss

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2012
    Location United States

Hey! I'd say don't sweat it. You'll definitely run into people that are a bit older but that doesn't mean you can't chill with them or have some good conversations, yeah? It's more about the individual then the age. Just stay safe and keep your wits about you since you're alone. If you want to meet people just be outgoing and friendly. You never know who you're gonna meet...kind of a matter of luck.

#2 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 22:56

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: I've met plenty of younger people traveling through SE Asia, though usually in groups of 2-6 it shouldn't be hard for you to meet people as a lot of people are there traveling alone and in the mood to be friendly and open - not like they are keeping their head down going from work to home like back in the 'real world'. As long as you are mature you should find people willing to have you tag along with you on some of their own adventures. A lot of Europeans on gap year after university who aren't too much older than you, but also a fair shake of people just out of highschool and hoping to have an adventure before starting university.

There may be some dry spells where you aren't meeting too many people to interact with and the usual advice would be to go to someplace like Vang Vieng or 4,000 Islands where people are partying. However, I've actually had better luck meeting people who were fun to hang out with in places like Savanakhet or Tad Lo which were smaller and you ran into the same people each day while just hanging around.

#3 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 23:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I wouldn't rule out meeting indigenous persons either. That is so easy to do here.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 00:14

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

True enough, though when I've been traveling I will usually meet local people for a night of hanging out at a local bar or cafe, maybe run into them in the same restaurant for a couple of days in a row. I've found Laos was the place this happened most often, though I've also traveled alone most often in Laos.

#5 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 01:12

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

You are not to young to travel solo, but I do suggest you do a lot of research and join sites like travbuddy & couchsurfing in order to get a "feel" for the places you're going to. If you're on FB you can join my group by clicking on the link below - :)

#6 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 05:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
40's young hearted solo traveller ... By Debsyb on 14 Jan 2014 9 921 31 Jan 2014