Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

12 day on andaman coast

• shaggyinsea

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2012

hey guys,

me and 3 frnz have decided an impromptu trip to Thailand. we land at bankok on 6 april and gotta return flight on 18 april from bankok.

we have a slightly tight budget of arnd 700 USD [flight tickets not included] each and wanna have a 'taste a bit of all' kinda trip. we wanna chill on the beach a bit, snorkel and do rock climbing, we aint real party animals bt as one of us has his birthday during the trip we would wanna have a bit of nightlife. is andaman coast the right choice for us??

we are sorta clueless abt our itinerary...... so please help us.

Also, we are being told tht the Thai festival of songkran is gonna be smack in the middle of our trip and hence this would be peak season and rates would be super high also getting around would be difficult. is tht gonna be the case??? how much wud be our approximate daily expenses if we take public transport and stay at cheap accomodation??

#1 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 23:19

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

Andaman coast is a fine choice.

US $700 is more than enough if you're staying at cheap places.

Never been to Andaman islands during Songkran but I'm pretty sure it's not crazy like Chiang Mai, but you definitely might have to pay high or peak season prices for the weekend. Even so you should be able to find basic beach hut fan accommodation for less than THB 1,000 per night. As for transport you might consider flying from BKK to Trang or Krabi on Air Asia or Nok Air, which would save you time and the possibility that buses or trains will be fully booked (although I doubt they would be).

As for itinerary, there are a ton of options. I like Ko Lipe /Adang as beautiful islands very close to one another with good snorkeling and hiking opportunities plus good food, decent nightlife and a range of accommodation options. The Travelfish Ko Lipe guide was recently updated and should be pretty much accurate.

There are many other choices on the Andaman coast... Personally I'd skip Phuket unless you want serious nightlife. The islands out of Trang are good smaller options. Good rock climbing around Krabi. If you want a really gorgeous, pristine national park island with great snorkeling I recommend Ko Surin, which can be reached from the town of Khuraburi. There are a lot of features and blogs on Travelfish on Andaman coast islands... I'd suggest you check those out, but with 12 days you don't have much time so I wouldn't try to do too much.

#2 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 03:18

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

"we wanna chill on the beach a bit, snorkel and do rock climbing....a bit of nightlife."
    Two locations where you can do all of this are the Ton Sai,/Railay area of Krabi (need to take one of the short snorkelling trips offshore) and Ko Phi Phi (need to spend some time on an east coast beach for chill - also for best snorkelling off the beach). Fortunately they are close together so you can do both with minimal transfer expense and time.

If you want to fit in another nearby location, Ko Jum is great for chill and Ko Lanta is a good all rounder except for rock climbing and snorkelling off the beach. I believe there is a new direct Phi Phi to Ko Jum ferry this year.

#3 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 05:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Andaman Coast ... By bliprogers on 2 Nov 2006 1 1897 3 Nov 2006
Andaman Coast - now! ... By noflyzone on 11 Jul 2010 4 2805 20 Jul 2010
ANDAMAN COAST IN JULY ... By charlottem92 on 20 May 2014 3 863 8 Jul 2014
2.5 weeks on the Andaman Coast ... By mcshapir520 on 23 Jan 2013 1 1740 23 Jan 2013
6 days - Andaman Coast - places? ... By Sam2011 on 6 Oct 2011 5 2974 6 Oct 2011
Andaman Coast/Itinerary Advice ... By Ace8c on 30 Dec 2013 9 567 31 Dec 2013
Meditation retreat on Andaman Coast ... By NourishingRoots on 10 Jul 2014 0 201 10 Jul 2014
Island hoping down the Andaman coast ... By glynsheard on 14 Aug 2007 1 3361 15 Aug 2007
Ko Chang (Andaman Coast) or Ko Phayam ... By Tinz on 10 Sep 2012 5 2287 10 Sep 2012
a peaceful week on the andaman coast ... By sheisaeval on 26 Jan 2010 2 1532 27 Jan 2010