Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tested for Dengue Fever - Bollocks

• PeterJW

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011

Hello

I've come up in a rash, feel a bit tired (ill the other day) and had the shits twice in the last week to 10 days. Went to the Dr and said it may be dengue fever. Its in the early stages if it is but does it get really bad for everyone? I'm currently in Koh Tao. If the results are negative would you recommend legging it to bangkok? I've been told you can't fly with dengue. is that true?

Has anyone suffered the same thing on their travels and if so what happened?

Any info will be greatly appreciated :/

#1 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 01:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Had dengue a year or so back ( see here for more info on my case of dengue ) - I don't recommend it :)

Initial tests are often negative -- if you have it, tremendous pain in joints and a searing pain in the back of the eyes is common. Flying isn't recommended in very bad cases, I'd be looking at overnight bus to Bangkok if you wanted a better standard of acre.

#2 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 02:28

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I don't think you need to go to Bangkok as most people experience mild to moderate cases of dengue. It is rare for a case to become severe and life-threatening. The usual treatment for dengue is rehydration; and acetaminophen for the pain and fever. There is a good chance you won't even need hospitalization. You might get lucky and experience mild symptoms only.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dengue-fever/DS01028

There are several hospitals in Koh Samui that cater to tourists/foreigners and they should be able to take care of you in case you need to be hospitalized.
    http://samui-weather.blogspot.com/2008/08/samui-international-hospital-chaweng.html

There might be other nearby hospitals that your doctor can recommend.

#3 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 04:15

• Ballytich

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2012

Hey Peter,
    Really random post and defo not meant to scare anyone, but a friend died from dengue fever, so please be careful, get it checked, get all your meds in and make sure you dont get worse, because it does get bad!!
    Hope you get better thou, Njoy your travels!
    Tich

#4 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 04:16

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

1 rash and the runs doesn't sound too serious. If it was dengue you'd be much worse. Stay off the grog and avoid the chillies for a couple of days. Eat plenty of fruit and drink water.

#5 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 16:23

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

When I was in the Bandas last autumn a lady tourist on Pulau Ai got really sick. Her husband had to charter a boat to get her to Ambon because there was no ferry out for couple of weeks and all flights had been cancelled. The boat charter cost an absolute fortune and must have taken at least 12 hours, probably longer than that ... it must have been hell for the woman! From Ambon they got a flight to Jakarta where blood tests showed she had Dengue AND Malaria! But she survived the boat and the flight OK and AFAIK she recovered from the dengue and malaria as well.

I came down with a fever while I was there too... couldn't get a blood test done but I suspect it was dengue because it didn't feel like malaria and I recovered without any treatment except lots of paracetamol after about a week. Wasn't very pleasant but much better than cholera. (Yeah, I've had that too). :-)

Anyway, if it were me I'd go to Samui and get a blood test done there. Travelling a long distance with dengue wouldn't be fun and there's not much doctors can do except ease the symptoms anyway. There's a cure for malaria but not dengue. From what I've read, the first time you get dengue it's usually relatively mild. Complications like hemorrhagic fever are more likely to happen when you get infected by a different strain a second time. There are 4 similar but different strains and that fools your immune system into thinking it's attacking the virus when it isn't or something. Avoid taking anything that can cause or worsen bleeding (like aspirin).

#6 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 18:22

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Funnily enough it was Koh samui were I got Dengue.I remember it well,a horrible painful week but paracetamol and lots of water should see you OK.It's the malnourished village children that are most in danger.For us well-fed westerners it's just an uncomfortable illness.

#7 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 04:38

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Thanks for the advice. Had blood tests results and its dengue but it isn't too bad to be honest. I'm lucky to have a mild case. I can't remember which type it is but I'm taking it easy, eating fruit and drinking water and tea. It could have been far worse by the sounds of it so I'm feeling quite lucky.

#8 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 10:39

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

No worries ballytich - sorry to hear it

#9 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 10:40

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Lucky you, good to here. I guess no muay thai for a week then.

#10 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 19:40

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My wife and son got it - not good. My son was VERY sick, and there was real concern that he would hemorrage, but that didn't happen. My wife wasn't quite as bad, but less able to cope with the pain (my son is tough). She was really miserable for a while. But neither hemorraged. Still, ere on the side of caution on this one.

#11 Posted: 12/4/2012 - 14:17

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

If you are on the computer than it is probably not too bad and rest and PLENTY of water should do the trick.

If it were bad you would not be sitting up and the light from the computer would give you a migraine. I had a very bad case and could not even lift my head up. Had to be carried to the hospital. Count yourself lucky.

BUT, if you are worried then head to Chumphon. I am sure there is a good private hospital there. No need to travel all the way to BKK. Or go to Thaksin Hospital in Surat Thani.

#12 Posted: 12/4/2012 - 21:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

On this subject line, my son stayed at the public hospital here, and that was actually a good learning experience for him. He had to stay in the general ward so he could be observed at all times by a nurse. There were some 50 people in his room, and everyone had a relative at their bedsides at all times. My son was impressed by how family members cared for each other, days on end. He said that's a value we could learn back at home. He was right too.

#13 Posted: 12/4/2012 - 23:21

• speter7410

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2012

hi...,
    i m peter smith,
    if you want to know about health related problem.soclick on below links
    thanks..............................

DENGUE HEMORRHAGIC FEVER

#14 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 10:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Dengue fever ... By cmz11 on 1 Aug 2008 10 3807 5 Aug 2008
I'm down with dengue fever, so... ... By somtam2000 on 16 Sep 2010 8 3208 4 Dec 2010
Malaria/Dengue Fever? ... By ChrisM48 on 11 Jan 2009 5 5036 11 Feb 2009
Dengue Fever outbreak ... By sassafrass on 9 Jun 2013 34 3487 13 Jun 2013
Confuse Dengue Fever for Malaria? ... By tatham on 25 May 2010 9 5914 6 Jun 2010
What is the word on Dengue Fever? Prevention? Treatment? ... By exacto on 9 Jan 2014 3 1461 28 Mar 2014
High incidence of Typhoid and Dengue Fever at the moment ... By busylizzy on 6 May 2013 1 2850 7 May 2013