Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Island Advice Please?

• nicolle

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2007

Hello! My husband and I are planning our first trip ro Cambodia/Thailand and are having a little trouble with the island (chillout) portion of the trip. We have two weeks set aside and think we'd like to visit three islands in that time. We narrowed them down to:

Ko Samui (specifically Taling Ngam)
    Ko Tao
    Ko Pha Ngan

First question, are we skipping an island we really shouldn't (our main goal is swimming and chilling)? And second, what order should we visit the islands in? We'll be coming from Bangkok and need to return there to fly home. Also, in travelling to and from these islands we'd like to avoid flying (as it scares the hell out of me) - we'd like to stick with boats/trains as much as possible.

Thanks so much for any help!

#1 Posted: 30/3/2007 - 00:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish Nicolle,

For transport options to and from the islands, please take a look at our story on getting to Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao.

Taling Ngam is a pretty isolated part of Samui and the accommodation options are limited, but that said, if you're after a sleepy hideaway, then you'll be set. If you want something a little busier, I'd suggest looking into Mae Nam on Ko Samui's north coast.

Ko Tao is very very popular with divers and while there's a few quieter bays, overall Ko Tao can get pretty busy.That said it's a small island so nothing is too far away and some of the quiet bays are beautiful.

Ko Pha Ngan is (in my opinion) the most chilled out of the three -- lots of quiet bays and a huge range of accommodation options. If you don't find Samui to your liking, I'd head straight here.

The order to visit them -- well the two sensible ways are Bangkok - Ko Tao - Ko Pha Ngan - Ko Samui - Bangkok and the reverse. KoPha Ngan is between the other two.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 30/3/2007 - 06:11

• ramphueng

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2007

Why not go to the East Cost, only 2 hour bus drive from Bangkok new airport Suvarnabhumi, not Pattaya, but 50 kilometer further south to Rayong Province, You find the best beach just south of Rayong City called Mae Ramphueng Beach, 12 kilometer long and then go few kilometer further south to Ban Phe, get the boat to Koh Samet and the small Island's around Koh Samet, all in Rayong Province. The next Island to visit is Koh Chang in Trat Province, 2 hour drive from Rayong and 1 hour from Cambodia. The last chill out place go to is SihanoukVille in Cambodia. All this places is not over-run by tourist, but very popular by Thai, better and much cheaper. You can guess where I live, anyway have a nice trip.

#3 Posted: 30/3/2007 - 13:02

• nicolle

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2007

Thanks so much for the great advice! I will definitely look into the East Coast and do a little more thinking on our island choices.

#4 Posted: 30/3/2007 - 22:03

• eslavet

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2007

Hi, I'm new to travelfish- We're flying into BKK Suvarnabhumi late at night, and want to leave early the next morning for the east coast. (We have only 10 days total in Thailand, so we don't want to waste a lot of time travelling....) So what do you think is the quickest way to get to nice beaches/destinations? We're not against buses/trains if they are scenic/somewhat comfortable... Is it worth taking the bus from the BKK airport and stopping in Rayong City on the way to Ko Chang? We arrive late Monday night and want to get back to Bangkok by Friday night so that we can hit the big market on Saturday morning. (Another question: is the Chatachuk market also open on Sundays???) THANKS!!!

#5 Posted: 26/4/2007 - 07:50

• walkingsuns-
    hine

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2007

Hi
    I went to Koh Chang, but we didn't make a stop at Rayong City, I don't think u will miss out on something...
    We were so lucky to meet this great taxidriver, when we took him to drive us to the tiger temple. He pick us up at our hotel and drove us directly to our resort in Koh Chang (he took the ferrie with us).
    We agreed on 2500 thb, but gave him 3000 thb because he was so nice to us. we were four people and it was cheaper and more convience that way and saved us time. At first we would have taken a flight, then taxi/bus to pier and some other form of vechical. Anyways we also called him the day before we were leaving and he stood ready in front of our resort on the agreed time. ( I don't know if I still have his number...)
    The Jatuchak marked is open on sundays too, and they just open a mall called JJ mall next to it. The marked is really worth a visit, but remember to bargin. The best way to get there is by BTS.
    Have a nice trip:-) Feel free to ask me anything that can help you with the trip. I'm thai, but have been living in Europe since I was little. I'm going to thailand twice a year. And I works as a currency trader, so I have a good inside tip to almost everything:-) regarding culture, tourism and currency.

#6 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 05:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.