Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Songkran - The war has begun

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Everyone on my street who is of age, and a few who aren't, is now inebriated at 3 in the afternoon. Village kids have come in and are riding around in pickups. Water is flying as fast as the alcohol. Some drunk girls are "flashing" as they go by in the beds of the pick ups... the city is now officially out of control.

#1 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 03:17

• Advertisement

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

LOL It's kind of subdued here in the village this year. I'm trying to stay on the porch but the other night I was kidnapped. Woke up the next morning feeling like I had been waterboarded with Lao Khao.

#2 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 18:04

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It must be the same festival here in Phnom Penh then.It's officially New Year and the city is deserted as most people have gone back to the villages to drink themselves silly.Quite nice last night watching everyone lighting up their little Spirit Houses and a great firework display.The downside is I live next door to the Pagoda.Do these sermons ever end?He's been going flat out now for at least 24 hours!

#3 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 20:08

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

BTW a question Mac.
    I know Songkran can mean 'war' but is this the same word, same tone?

#4 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 20:09

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

"3rd danger day for Songkran road accidents see 144 deaths, 1,668 people injured in 1,554 road accidents" - not so good is it...

http://twitter.com/#!/TAN_Network

#5 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 22:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

altmtl
    Don't drive during Songkran. Simple as that. Everyone is drunk. Really simple math here.

Sayadian
    According to my wife the words have no meaning other than the name of the festival itself. They must have some etymology or other, but my wife doesn't know it and neither do I.

#6 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 22:57

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

No girls flashing for Songkran here, and I'm in Phuket fer goodness sakes. I guess nobody wants to give it away for free in these parts.

They're even charging 20 baht for water re-fills on Bangla road. Peng mak mak!

#7 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 03:58

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Songkran, Thai New Year
    Songkhram, war

Totally different words that just happen to sound similar

#8 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 05:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Bummer Cranky, maybe they're not drunk enough.

#9 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 05:54

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

songkran comes from the Sanskrit word samkranti or literally "astrological passage" (according to Wiki). Believed to be adapted from an ancient Indian festival based on the lunar calendar. In terms of the water splashing it's very similar to the Indian "Holi" festival, except in that it's a mix of dyed water and dyed powder being thrown around. Along with Thailand, Sri Lanka, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, and Cambodia all celebrate their traditional new years at this same time, all adapted from the same thing. Southern China also has a water splashing festival that's believed to part of the tradition as a whole.

#10 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 06:38

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Thanks for posting DLuek. Interesting.

#11 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 07:06

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I found my self armed with a supersoaker 5000 taking lots of fire. It was fun until I took the scooter to head to bottle beach and dumped it with my GF on the back... We both got ourselves an official Thai road rash tat to remember.. No Hospital thank god. But the ride home was brutal!! Both Bleeding yet still getting dumped with water kind of sucked!! But no flashing in Koh phangan either!!! Just in Samui now!!!

#12 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 07:59

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Yeah, I never cease to be baffled by how ruthlessly people will squirt passing motorcyclists right in the eyes during Songkran. Kind of like those people who flash laser pointers in the eyes of pilots, albeit on a much smaller scale.

#13 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 08:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I rode once this songkran, slowly, with caution. Don't want road rash or anything else. Not going to move fast enough to go down.

#14 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 08:38

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

haha a good few days and the war is over... I shall be awaiting next year :)

#15 Posted: 16/4/2012 - 10:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.