Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

China Visa in Bangkok?

• Wanderluster

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I am returning to Southeast Asia for a couple months at the end of April and have an extended layover in Beijing on the way home. My friends and I plan on leaving the airport since we have 11 hours to spare and thought it would be a great opportunity to check out one last place before we head back home to Canada.

I have tried to research the visa situation for China, but have come up with conflicting reports. I know that China does allow airport transfers without visa from Pudong to Hongqiao. On some websites it states that a one entry visa is indeed required for this sort of venture from the airport, but then other sources detail the complete opposite saying that if it is under 24 hours and you have proof of a connecting flight a visa is not required. I have tried to contact the local consulate (which actually directs me to a local travel agent who "thinks" I need a visa) and Canadian Chinese Embassy to no avail. I have read from other people's experiences that they have entered for Beijing without a visa or trouble, while others have been held up because they do not have a visa.

I just simply wanted to know if anyone has done this exact process and if they needed a visa or not.

In addition I was also wondering if any Canadian citizens have gotten Chinese visas while in Bangkok, and if so how long did it take to receive the visa?

#1 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 19:24

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

When you are in BKK go the the Chinese Embassy, or email them. Here is their website.
    http://www.chinaembassy.or.th/eng/

#2 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 20:50

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

It seems you need a transit "G" visa. See item no 7 here:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn/lsyw/vpna/rap/t900567.htm#UScitizensshallgetChineseVisatovisaChina

Taking a look the Chinese Embassy in Canada, there is also mention of a "G" visa.
    http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsyw/gzrz/visa2/t37727.htm

It seems the G visa is for people who will stay longer than 24 hours in the airport or need to leave the airport.

#3 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 03:27

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1.is is waste of time and effort to mail the CN embassy (for that matter most embassies)-they have also outsourced their visum-service to some ''private ''company in BKk shortly. I do not understand why people keep on giving thse idiot answers-not realistic at all.
    2. as far as I know but DO doublechech-as you said it was only 11 hrs total- then you do NOT need a visum to prearrange-as Canucks, as BJ is an EXCEPtion to the rule for visum G mentioned-as is also SjangHai. You must present yourself to a special desk in BJ-airport, which will endorse your papers and passpt. does NOT apply to many other nations!! The forum on lonelyplanet has ample info on this-try/check there.

#4 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 07:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"It is is waste of time and effort to mail the CN embassy (for that matter most embassies)-they have also outsourced their visum-service to some ''private ''company in BKk shortly. I do not understand why people keep on giving thse idiot answers-not realistic at all."

I emailed the US embassy with a visa question and got an answer in less than 24 hours (and they called me to boot).

#5 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 07:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting 2 month tourist visa for China in Bangkok ... By williamtaylor on 16 Jan 2010 0 2948 16 Jan 2010