Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

China Visa in Bangkok?

Posted by Wanderluster on 13/4/2012 at 19:24

I am returning to Southeast Asia for a couple months at the end of April and have an extended layover in Beijing on the way home. My friends and I plan on leaving the airport since we have 11 hours to spare and thought it would be a great opportunity to check out one last place before we head back home to Canada.

I have tried to research the visa situation for China, but have come up with conflicting reports. I know that China does allow airport transfers without visa from Pudong to Hongqiao. On some websites it states that a one entry visa is indeed required for this sort of venture from the airport, but then other sources detail the complete opposite saying that if it is under 24 hours and you have proof of a connecting flight a visa is not required. I have tried to contact the local consulate (which actually directs me to a local travel agent who "thinks" I need a visa) and Canadian Chinese Embassy to no avail. I have read from other people's experiences that they have entered for Beijing without a visa or trouble, while others have been held up because they do not have a visa.

I just simply wanted to know if anyone has done this exact process and if they needed a visa or not.

In addition I was also wondering if any Canadian citizens have gotten Chinese visas while in Bangkok, and if so how long did it take to receive the visa?

#1 Wanderluster has been a member since 24/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 4
 Twitter 

Posted by guava_girl on 13/4/2012 at 20:50

When you are in BKK go the the Chinese Embassy, or email them. Here is their website.
http://www.chinaembassy.or.th/eng/

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by goonistik on 14/4/2012 at 03:27

It seems you need a transit "G" visa. See item no 7 here:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn/lsyw/vpna/rap/t900567.htm#UScitizensshallgetChineseVisatovisaChina

Taking a look the Chinese Embassy in Canada, there is also mention of a "G" visa.
http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsyw/gzrz/visa2/t37727.htm

It seems the G visa is for people who will stay longer than 24 hours in the airport or need to leave the airport.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by captainbkk on 15/4/2012 at 07:01

1.is is waste of time and effort to mail the CN embassy (for that matter most embassies)-they have also outsourced their visum-service to some ''private ''company in BKk shortly. I do not understand why people keep on giving thse idiot answers-not realistic at all.
2. as far as I know but DO doublechech-as you said it was only 11 hrs total- then you do NOT need a visum to prearrange-as Canucks, as BJ is an EXCEPtion to the rule for visum G mentioned-as is also SjangHai. You must present yourself to a special desk in BJ-airport, which will endorse your papers and passpt. does NOT apply to many other nations!! The forum on lonelyplanet has ample info on this-try/check there.

#4 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by MADMAC on 15/4/2012 at 07:36

"It is is waste of time and effort to mail the CN embassy (for that matter most embassies)-they have also outsourced their visum-service to some ''private ''company in BKk shortly. I do not understand why people keep on giving thse idiot answers-not realistic at all."

I emailed the US embassy with a visa question and got an answer in less than 24 hours (and they called me to boot).

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.