Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

BKK Dec/Jan/Feb

• PDX

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

I'm planning a trip to Bangkok for three months (Dec.-March) to escape the gray of the Pacific Northwest and am looking for apartment advice. My needs: a studio or one-bedroom near the BTS with inclusive wifi and utilities, and plenty of informal food options and open markets. Gritty is fine. I can do without malls. My rent budget: 15K-20KB monthly.

I welcome any suggestions on specific apartment buildings and neighborhoods near specific BTS stations. I'm also wondering about deposits and how assured one can be that they will be returned at the end of a stay. I've stayed in Chiang-Mai a few times for a few months at a shot but always stayed at places that did not require a deposit. Thanks in advance for any advice!

#1 Posted: 19/4/2012 - 18:11

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

You want to stay in BK for 3 months? I suggest you check out and post on the Bangkok group on couchsurfing... or the BK group on FB and ask locals...

#2 Posted: 19/4/2012 - 22:34

• PDX

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Thanks. I don't do FB and the couchsurfing site was not useful. From reading the posts here, it seems there are more than a few BKK residents.

#3 Posted: 19/4/2012 - 22:41

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

your call... good luck.

#4 Posted: 19/4/2012 - 22:46

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

this forum seems to be mainly newbie 1st time bekpek-with the associated ''I only stay hoStel and I only eat streetfood and I only go by train''attitude attached to that.Go to forums like thaivisa or maybe even still lonelyplanet/thorntree for that-read first-likely your Q is not new and answered by the dozen already.
    couchsurfing is most tipically for a night or 2-not for such long stays. Plus that Thai are not very likely to have space for it, nor really get used to the feeling of doing so. Plus that accomm. can be so outright cheap it makes no sense.
    For such long stays you overstate the importance of the BTS-it does not really bring me to most places I would LIKE to go.

#5 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 06:36

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

I've spent two out of the last six months exclusively in Bangkok and have stayed at King Royal Garden Inn, which I've been generally happy with. Prices are THB 10,000 / month for 30 sq. meter room or 13,000 / month for 36 sq. meter. I stayed in the 10,000 first but second time they were all full so did the 13,000, which isn't much different really (just rented a condo for the year so moved out). Rooms are kind of old but they have A/C, fridge, microwave, table and desk, TV (few English channels)... Overall they're pretty comfortable and not bad value for the monthly rate. There's a decent gym and a small pool on the roof, neither of which get much use and I've found them nice and secluded at times. Location is great. It's on Sathorn Rd directly in front of Surasak BTS stop, 1 km from Silom, two stops from Lumpini Park, 1 stop from the Chao Phraya River and express boat pier. There are a few food vendors always right out front but it is in the more business/banking district so it's a little more modern of an atmosphere, but still good street food near Chong Nonsi and Sala Daeng stops just up the sky train line. Deposit was 5,000 for either room and they give it back after deducting around 1,500 for electricity and water when the month is up. Overall the staff are nice. WiFi free and generally works okay.

I disagree with captainbkk's comment on BTS not being useful. I use it everyday, often in combo with MRT and Chao Phraya Express, and only use taxis or motorbike taxis to get somewhere I want to go from the nearest MRT/BTS stop or pier. I pretty much do anything I can to avoid sitting in Bangkok traffic.

I've checked out a few other places and found similar rooms to this one (maybe a little newer and with a balcony) but prices seem to be 15K and up, although I'm sure there are solid 10K rooms available by the month somewhere out there. In the past I stayed at a serviced apartment spot in Din Daeng called the Living Room on Prachasongkra Rd about 1.5 km from Huay Khwang MRT stop. It got the job done for 6K / month (hard bed, cold tile floor, fluorescent lights, but does have A/C, TV, kitchen sink and balcony) but you pretty much have to take a motorbike taxi to get anywhere. Also no WiFi. It's at Prachasongkra soi 25 if you want to look though, and there are a bunch of other apartment buildings nearby that might be worth checking out... Also I'd say Ramkamhaeng, Huay Khwang, Lat Phrao, and Din Daeng are good areas to look for cheap but quality apartments... Maybe someone else has a specific one in mind..... As Cptbkk says www.thaivisa.com is also not a bad place to post the question either. You might also post the question on the forum at www.ajarn.com.

#6 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 08:25

• PDX

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

DLuek - Thanks for taking the time to answer my query with such a detailed and useful post! I'll take your suggestions and check out King Royal Garden Inn. Good information, which I could not find elsewhere.

#7 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 13:49

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

The Bangkok group on CS, is not just about looking for a couch for a few nights... there are expats who rent cheap apts. in Bangkok on there, and locals who know where the cheap areas are, if they answer your questions, however that is another story.

Contacting active local members in the BK group personally is also an option, just make sure you have a complete profile, or you may not get any replies. I agree Thorntree/Thaivisa can be useful, but most of the people who reply will not be "low budget" renters in BK.

It's not fair to dismiss certain social networks if you don't know how to use them. For example not enabling the private message option on your TF profile, so people could send you info they may not want to share with everyone?

#8 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 19:33

• PDX

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Take your condescension elsewhere. You are not useful.

#9 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 19:35

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

lol

#10 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 19:46

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

PDX, despite your reply, this is exactly what I mentioned was talking about...

http://www.couchsurfing.org/group_read.html?gid=704&post=11849862

you're welcome :)

#11 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 20:11

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

DLuk - I agree with you on this point.

"I disagree with captainbkk's comment on BTS not being useful. I use it everyday, often in combo with MRT and Chao Phraya Express, and only use taxis or motorbike taxis to get somewhere I want to go from the nearest MRT/BTS stop or pier. I pretty much do anything I can to avoid sitting in Bangkok traffic."

#12 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 20:39

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

There is also a a sub-group on CS called:

Apartment/Roommate Search: Bangkok

#13 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 01:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.