Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Phuket/Ko Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui/Ko Pha Ngan

Posted by annaosully on 22/4/2012 at 00:39

Hi there,

I am heading to Thailand for new year this year and am struggling to decide whether I have time to include a trip to Phuket (mainly to see Ko Phi Phi ) as well as going to The Full Moon Party.

I will be arriving in Bangkok on Dec 26th and have until about the 2nd Jan (7 days) to spend in southern Thailand. I will be going to other parts of South East Asia after this so am not interested in anything 'cultural' - just want to lie on the beach. However, I can't decide which island to do this on.

My first option is to visit Phuket and then travel to Ko Pha Ngan for the FMP. The only reason I would be keen on Phuket is to see Ko Phi Phi for a day trip. Would it be possible for me to access Ko Phi Phi from anywhere other than Ko Phi Phi?Have also read so many blogs about Phi Phi being touristy - is it still beautiful despite the tourists?

Second option is to leave out Phuket/Phi Phi and relax on Koh Samui then head to Ko Pha Ngan.

Third option is to be on Ko Pha Ngan the whole 6ish days.

If anyone could advise me as to which of these islands is (the most) worth seeing that would be fantastic. Also, I will be travelling around a lot later in my trip so don't want to spend too long on buses etc during my precious time in southern Thailand.

Thanks in advance!
Anna

#1 annaosully has been a member since 22/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by 3drazor on 22/4/2012 at 01:57

I did join a tour from Phuket to Phi Phi Island for a day trip on my first Thailand visit. Hated it. Touristy is the wrong word to describe what i felt. I felt i was in tourist hell :D

#2 3drazor has been a member since 13/10/2011. Posts: 16

Posted by guava_girl on 26/4/2012 at 21:36

Spend the entire 6 days on Koh Phangan. It is a beautiful island and has a lot more going for it then a party on Haad Rin beach.

#3 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by Bozo9999 on 5/1/2013 at 01:42

Avoid Koh Phi Phi like the plague! It is hell! No escape from the rabbit warren of shops except by boat. Beach is polluted. If you don't believe me, stroll to the end of the beach and observe the large gray water creek emptying into the bay. If you are a 20 something partier, backpacker, drinker, don't mind a little squalor, and need a new tattoo then this place is for you. Lanta is a much better island. The Lanta Riviera Hotel is for adults, is on the beach and is very nice. You can moped around the island which is cheap and fun.

#4 Bozo9999 has been a member since 5/1/2013. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.