Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

me and my bike!

• barrylad66

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

hi
    could anyone tell me whether i can take my bike(in a box) onto the express boat up to nonthaburi.? i have cyled into and out of bkk before and i swore then that i would never do it again.once i get to nonthaburi i can strike out north from there.

regard's

#1 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 05:36

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I don't think you'd be allowed on. This is from the Chao Phraya Express website ...

"No bicycles, push-carts or large objects are allowed on board the boat due to safety concern for other passengers."

Why not throw your bike onto a train at Hualomphong and hop off at Rangsit Station? There are about 40 trains stopping there each day.

#2 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 06:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Train is a good idea, but Rangsit is still in the city. I had the feeling he was out of the traffic...

#3 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 14:12

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

MM - True, but it's further out than the CP Express would go.

Barry - You could hop off at Bang Pa-in, but it's a pretty cool ride from Rangsit Station up to Bang Pa-in along Liap Khlong Prem Rd. This road runs alongside Liap Khlong up to #3309 at Bang Krasan on the Chao Phraya. From Rangsit Station you can head north and then look for the small side streets that turn left and that have small bridges over the canal. Easy riding.

Just a suggestion. Where are you heading?

#4 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 14:27

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I think the Post Office will do it too. I know a guy that shipped his motorcycle that way.

#5 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 15:59

• barrylad66

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

hi..thank's all
    thanks for the replys...i didn't think it was poss on the river boat.i think i will just hop on the train and duck off once i get past the express way's.i rode into bkk from korat,and also from samut songkram in the south before and i was convinced i was gonna die!! i have cycled in all major city's in s e asia and bkk was the worst .i'm heading up to chiang mai to study,and doing a detour around issan and the north before i start my lessons.!

a student again at the age of 45!!!

regard's all

#6 Posted: 28/4/2012 - 07:27

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I did the ride to (rather than from) Samut Songkhram from Bangkok. Stupidly, I did it on a holiday, as well. Never again, at least on #35. Cars were passing each other ON THE SHOULDER as they all raced south to Cha-Am and Hua Hin. I've never had such a tense and uncomfortable bike ride.

I took the Thonburi-Mae Khlong train back the whole way. At least from Mahachai it is a much more preferable way to get into the city than riding is. I rather enjoy cycling in the city once I'm there, though, especially in the areas around the river.

#7 Posted: 28/4/2012 - 10:18

• barrylad66

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

hi tilapia
    i know where your coming from regarding everyone blasting to cha am and hua hin for there weekend blow out.i also cycled to cha am as early as i could wake up on a friday,but as usual got a bit lost and before i knew it i was dodging idiot's going both way's on the hard shoulder,and almost getting clipped by the mobile disco's!! also agree with you once of the express way's etc it great to explore the city's on a bicycle. really looking forward to cycling around issan again,loved it when i was there last year.....

#8 Posted: 29/4/2012 - 01:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.