Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani

• donnellm

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2012

PLEASE help! This is the only part of my trip I havent figured out yet! What is the easiest way to travel from Koh Phangan to the airport in Surat Thani ? About how much does it cost and how long would it take? Where can I buy advance tickets?
    I will be booking a flight that leaves Surat Thani on July 5th at 11:35am so I need to be there by then. ANY help and advice is GREATLY appreciated!!! :)

#1 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 09:06

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's very simple and straight forward to get from KPN to Surat Thani . You'll get the boat from Koh Phangan to the pier near Surat Thani, and from the pier they will run buses to the airport. You can sort it all out at the time that you book your Ferry ticket. There is no need to book ahead of time - just wait until you arrive in Surat Thani and you can organise your return fares. Cost looks to be about 700 baht each way.

If you are flying out at 11.35am, there is a chance that you will need to stay the night in Surat Thani though.

Lomprayah Express is one boat that you can use: http://www.lomprayah.com/ You'll find more info on their site. There are other boats as well so maybe use google to find out the other ones and check out their ferry times.

It's all very to organise once you are there - so relax!

#2 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 16:02

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Google can also give you the dates of the full moon party in July... a two second search reveals that it's on the 3rd so if you arrive on KPN on the 4th as you stated you were planning to do in this post....

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indonesia/18352_travel-from-koh-phangan-to-bali

... then all you're likely to see of the full moon party are lots of semi comatose people lying about and tons of trash from the previous night's party on Had Rin beach.

I have no idea why you want to go to KPN the day after the full moon party and then immediately turn round and leave the island in order to go to Bali... and then turn round again to come back to Thailand. You do realize that there will be a $25 visa on arrival fee in Indonesia, plus a 150,000Rp departure tax when you fly out of Denpasar as well as the cost of all your flights? And that it will take about the same amount of time to get there as you're planning to spend there?

Your proposed itinerary makes absolutely no sense. In fact it's so ridiculous that I assumed you were trolling.

If you weren't then you really need to sit down and rethink the whole thing through before booking any flights etc.

#3 Posted: 28/4/2012 - 04:25

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Oh.. I didn't realise the OP was the same poster enquiring about Bali as well!? No, that doesn't make sense at all. I'd suggest skipping Bali altogether this trip and just sped the time in KPN. Maybe island-hop over to Koh Tao if you want to mix it up. The time and money spent getting to Bali for only a few days, only to return to Thailand, just doesn't make sense.

#4 Posted: 28/4/2012 - 05:29

• donnellm

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2012

SBE- Actually I mentioned nothing in this post about getting to the full moon party just the date I am leaving. I am getting there on July 2nd. If you actually READ this post, all I am asking for is the easiest way to get from KPN to Surat Thani airport for my RETURN flight. Your rude post is unnecessary and "trollish" (dont you appreciate my use of your own ridiculous slang words!?). I am not stupid, I know the party is on the 3rd which is why I am arriving on the 2nd then leaving on the 5th and YES I know of the $25 visa in Bali which is just a small fee and not even a concern in my budget.

Busylizzy- Thanks for your original post it did help out and I appreciate you reading it correctly and providing helpful information instead of useless comments like the other ******* who has nothing better to do.

#5 Posted: 28/4/2012 - 09:28

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Donnell, to be fair, I can see how SBE made the assumption that you were arriving one day after the FMP, only to leave one day later - based on this statement:

"Arrive in Bangkok then to Koh Phangan for full moon party on July 4th"

in this thread is a bit confusing. It looks like you are planning to arrive in KPN on the 4th, which as SBE looked up, is a day after the FMP - with plans to then leave on the 5th. It wasn't clear that you were arriving in KPN on the 2nd.

We often people on the forum who are new to travelling to SEA and don't appreciate the travelling distances and times to get from one place to another. Many travellers on this site also try to do it on a shoestring budget, hence we try to point out the 'hidden costs' (like visas and departure tax) when giving advice - to some travellers, these are significant and unexpected costs.

SBE has extensive experience and a wealth of knowledge about travel in SEA - and shares it generously. Yes, she was a bit naughty in jumping to the conclusion that you were trolling - but it's hard to give good info when we are not given the full (or clear) picture.

She was right to point out that you will be spending a fair bit of effort and time to get to/from Bali, esp from KPN, for only a few days. You will lose a good full day of 'island time' each way, and maybe more if you need to come to Surat Thani the day before just to catch a flight. If you're travelling for 6 months then maybe it's not a problem. If you're only travelling for 2 weeks, then that becomes more significant. Again, we don't have the full picture. Either way, it's not something that I would do. I would rather minimise time spent in airplanes, waiting at airports, waiting for, and sitting on buses - and maximise the time spent on the island. If there is one thing that you learn about travel in SEA - there is a lot of waiting time!

#6 Posted: 28/4/2012 - 16:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hat Yai- Surat Thani - Koh Phangan/Samui ... By dihaamir on 12 Jan 2011 0 4115 12 Jan 2011
Ferry from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani? ... By adammcintyre on 27 Feb 2013 3 1875 27 Feb 2013
Surat Thani to Koh Phangan - June 07 ... By oisin on 31 May 2007 2 3131 1 Jun 2007
ko phangan to Surat thani airport (URT) ... By tylerjprewett on 27 Feb 2008 2 6016 30 Aug 2008
Night Ferry - Surat Thani to Ko Phangan ... By trixieb on 26 Dec 2006 11 12206 13 Jan 2012
Night train from Bangkok to Surat Thani then ferry to Ko Phangan and on to Koh Tao ... By mejulie on 8 Dec 2012 1 2213 10 Dec 2012
Travel from Koh Tao to Surat Thani ... By MLSinclair on 4 Aug 2010 1 10637 4 Aug 2010
Bus travel from Surat Thani to Krabi ... By patvivian on 13 Nov 2009 4 9034 8 Apr 2013
Help! Travel to Kao Sok Park from Surat Thani and Pha Ngan ... By Nerel3000 on 10 Dec 2009 2 2138 10 Dec 2009
Travel between Surat Thani and Khao Lak and Khao Lak to Ko Phi Phi ... By saxomophone on 9 Jan 2011 1 6263 9 Jan 2011