Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First Post- Honeymoon in SE Asia

• tylerhlewis

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

Hello, Travelfish community!
    I have loved getting familiar with this site. It is such an amazing resource and has truly been a help to me as I wade through the overwhelming amount of opinions and knowledge on SE Asia that are available on the web.

My fiance and I will be getting married in June and plan to head to SE Asia for an extended honeymoon. Our first week is going to be at a really nice resort in Phuket, so we will have a week at the beach to relax and have the traditional honeymoon. From there, we want to take a month or so to do the rest of Thailand, Laos, Vitenam, and Cambodia.

I have got my itinerary loosely hammered down and would like some help putting some meat on the skeleton. I loosely followed the "Four Country" guide on travelfish, but instead of snaking up through Thailand, down through Laos and Cambodia, then back up through Vietnam, I think we are going to make more of a circle.

I think it will look something like this:

Days 1-7: Phuket
    Overnight train to Bangkok
    Days 8-12: Bangkok and surrounding area, train to Phitsanulok
    Day 13: Sukothai ruins and train to Chiang Mai
    Days 14-Day 20: CHiang Mai, Chiang Rai and surrounding area, maybe Mae Hong Son loop
    Day 21: Chiang Khong
    Day 22-23: slow boat to Luang Prabang
    Days 24-26: Luang Prabang
    Days 27-29: Vientiane
    Flight from Vientiane to Hanoi
    Days 30-32: Hanoi
    Day 33: Ha Long Bay
    Days 34-35: Hue
    Day 36-37: Nha Trang
    Days 38-40: HCMC
    Days 41: Phnom Penh
    Days 42-43: Siem Reap
    Day 44: Bangkok and flight home

Here's a map of what I'm thinking:
    Honeymoon in SE Asia
    (you'll have to zoom out)

It's quite a doozy, and I have some mixed feelings. Here's what I need help with:

1) Am I crazy? Am I trying to do too much?
    2) Will there be opportunities for my new wife and I to "get familiar" with each other in these guest houses, or are these places absolutely the most unromantic places on the planet?
    3) If I want to extend the trip five or six days, how would you recommend I spend it? Same itinerary, but more time budgeted for miscellaneous stuff? Any key sights I'm missing?
    4) Am I missing out on a lot by leaving out the middle of the circle? Should I hit Southern Laos/Northern Cambodia over some of the places I've chosen?
    5) We are going into this "loosely planned." I am not planning on making a lot of reservations ahead of time, as June is the low season. Is this madness? I'm so used to having a perfect itinerary ahead of time with every hotel booked in advance.

I truly appreciate anyone who made it through this post. I am very uneasy about this, as I've never traveled to Asia before, never been on a honeymoon before, and really don't know what to expect. A little encouragement and/or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

#1 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 16:31

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Tyler - I've only had a very quick skim through your post during a quick coffee break at work, so can't spend long commenting at the moment. My first thought was that you may want to consider moving Phuket to the end of the trip - only from the perspective that it's nice to wrap up a busy trip with some relaxing time at the end before heading home. (This may not work if you're actually flying into Phuket from somewhere rather than via BKK).

I'll endeavour to come back later to digest the rest and comment...

#2 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 16:57

• tylerhlewis

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, the Phuket week is the ONLY week of our trip that we have already booked and it is nonrefundable. Hahaha. We thought it would be nice to have a traditional beachy honeymoon before starting the less luxurious part of our vacation. We may try to spend a good amount of time at the beaches in Vietnam before wrapping up our trip.

Our other choice would be to snake through, going N,S,N, ending up in northern Vietnam and spending a few days at the beaches up there. Thoughts?

Again, I truly appreciate the reply.

#3 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 17:20

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi there Tyler and congratulations!

Couple of points.

1. There is no train from Phuket to Bangkok. Your public transport options are a long overnight bus ride or flying back to Bangkok. Seeing as it's your honeymoon I'd suggest the latter! There are budget airlines that do that route so it shouldn't be too expensive ... check out Nok Air and Air Asia.

2. There is more than one type of slowboat to get to Luang Prabang and you didn't specify which one you were thinking of using. Again, as it's your honeymoon I'd suggest splashing out a bit rather than taking the usual cheaper but very overcrowded and uncomfortable "cattle boat" version which involves an overnight stop in a grotty rat infested guesthouse in Pak Beng. Maybe you're already aware of this but just in case you weren't, the Nagi of Mekong slowboat would be a much more romantic option!

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/16004_nagi-of-mekong-2011-trip-report

#4 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 02:23

• tylerhlewis

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the advice.

Sorry I wasn't clear. We are actually taking a bus from Phuket to Surat Thani , then taking the overnight train from Surat Thani to Bangkok.

Thank you so much for the suggestion of the nicer boat! I had no idea there was another option, and this looks like something we would definitely like to do.

#5 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 07:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.