Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

help needed with 60 day itinerary

• corey001

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2012

I'm going to SEA mid may for 60 days. originally i wanted to hit thailand laos and cambodia. but when i typed out a rough itinerary of where i want to go i ran out of days to see cambodia. am i giving some of these places to many days? not enough? i don't want to be traveling all the time and prefer a laid back trip. any input would be much appreciated

rough itinerary:
    NORTHTHAILAND
    land in bangkok : 5 days pre booked
    ayuthaya: 2 days
    lopburi: 1 day
    sukhothai: 3 days
    chiang mai: 5 days
    pai: 3 days
    mae hong son: 3 days
    chiang mai - chiang rai: 3 days
    25 days total
    LAOS
    huay xai crossing: 1 day
    luang prabang: 3 days
    vientienne: 3 days
    mekong to nong khai: 2 days
    9 days total
    THAILAND ISLANDS
    back to bangkok 2 days
    kanchanaburi: 4 days
    phet buri 2 days
    chumphon: 2 days
    ko tao: 4 days
    ko pha ngan: 3 days
    ko samui: 4 days
    ko samui to bangkok 2 days
    **3 days unassigned.

#1 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 17:56

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm not sure what this means: mekong to nong khai: 2 days

It is a morning to get from Vientiane to Nong Khai and you probably don't want to spend more than one night there if you feel you're short on time. I think that extra day would be better assigned as a buffer in your travel from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang .

Which brings me to my main point that I think think this is a fine route and a good schedule, but I wouldn't book too much ahead so that you can be flexible if you like. It may be that with what you've paid to get into Laos you'd like to spend more time there - perhaps check out Luang Nam Tha on the way down to Luang Prabang (if going overland) or take a couple nights to get a little out of the way up to Nong Kiaow or Mung Ngoi which is a nice 3/4 night trip north from Luang Prabang.

Keep your schedule loose and think of this as a rough itinerary, but be prepared to scratch one of the 3 islands you are planning on and give yourself more time to relax and get settled into one or two of them - and/or save time for other parts of the trip.

I also think 5 days at the start in BKK is a bit much, give yourself 3 nights to enjoy and get adjusted, and then plan to get back to BKK a couple days early before your flight out. That way, if you change your mind and want to spend more time somewhere else you can and it just comes out of the BKK time at the end of the trip, or you get to spend that time in BKK after returning from a long trip and it feels like coming home.

#2 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 20:14

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I wouldnt plan too much. You have time to look around and go with the flow.

#3 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 18:24

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You may want to consider going from Sukhothai to Mae Hon Song and then to Pai and Chiangmai, rather than going to Chiangmai - Pai - Mae Hon Song - Chiangmai - Chiangrai ... to avoid backtracking.

#4 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 07:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.