Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Chang during July/August Monsoon Season...How Bad IS it?

• idreaminthai

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Hello!

I am considering going to Ko Chang and some of the surrounding islands (Koh Mak, etc) during July or August, but I understand that this is the rainy season for this side of Thailand. My research has led me to many conflicting stories about how wet that really is...can anyone give their opinions? I understand that weather is always changing, but there's a big difference between "it rains heavily for an hour or so a day and then the sun comes out" and "we needed a helicopter to evacuate us from the roof of our flooded guesthouse".

Thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 6/5/2012 - 07:20

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

It is a load of rain. Check out the weatherfish map and see what you think:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

Often times during the monsoons, it does rain heavily for just a few hours, mostly in the afternoon when the heat builds up, but on other days, it rains all day and for days on end. I remember once in Lop Buri during the monsoon it rained for three days straight, and that was nowhere near the water.

I'd be more concerned about gettin to/from the islands, if the ferry is running, and what services and accommodation will be available once you get there. I'd expect accommodation, if available, to be pretty cheep, considering, but food might actually be more expensive given the pain of dragging it over from the mainland during the rains.
    What other options are you considering?

#2 Posted: 6/5/2012 - 11:39

• idreaminthai

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Thanks so much for your reply.

I had hoped to travel from Bangkok to Siam Reap, and then on to Ko Chang and Koh Mak afterward merely based on geographical proximity. My hope was to find a beach area without mobs of people, plenty of places to explore, and where I can have a lot of interaction with locals as opposed to tourists. Because of that, I don't feel that somewhere like Pattaya or Phuket would be right for me. Perhaps Ko Samet would be a good option???

My itinerary is pretty open, but my original plan was Chiang Mai-Bangkok-Siam Reap-Ko Chang area-Bangkok-home. I am more than open to any suggestions anyone might have that would be better, though!

#3 Posted: 7/5/2012 - 10:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

That area tends to be the wettest in Thailand around that time. Nevertheless I have seen plenty of wet season reports from Ko Chang saying people had a good holiday - looks like there is still usually plenty of sunshine between the showers/storms but when it rains it really rains.

During/after rainy period storms the surf can get very dangerous on big Chang where the main beaches face west into the swell. Take care - there are many drownings in wet season.

Chang has a big local population so acess will be okay - the vehicle ferries will only not run in the worst conditions. Acess to Maak and Wai may be more limited but Maak also has a fair local population which needs access to the mainland. Ditto Ko Kut.
    Thing is you willl have to go back to the mainland from Chang to get these boats - the high season direct boats from Chang south are unlikely to run.

That type of year best weather is usually in the southern Gulf which does not normally get wet until October. The north and east coasts of Ko Phangan have some very chilled beaches in Coral Beach, Botttle Beach, Thong Nai Pan, Had Wai Nam, Had Thian and Had Yuan. Thong Nai Pan has the biggest local population but is the most touristy (pretty laid back compared to Phuket and Pattaya though).
    For best interaction I'd be thinking of Coral Beach and walking/motorcycling into nearby Chalok Lum, the northern fishing town which has a nice atmosphere. There are also some okay bungalow resorts just along the beach from the town itself.

#4 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 21:44

• idreaminthai

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Is there any easy way to get to the Southern Gulf from Siam Reap? I had initially chosen Ko Chang because it seemed the easiest to get to from Angkor Wat....

#5 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 08:55

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Chang is close to the mainland so boats should run in all but really bad storms. Maak is further away and the seas do get rougher. Chang is a big island and there are bars to retreat to if it does rain. You may get scattered showers or lots of rain. Every week is different in wet season. I'd still go if you want to relax. Prices are heavily discounted and few tourists will be there. If you strike a sunny day or two and there will be a few you can do a snorkelling trip and see other islands including Wai and national park islands.

#6 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 20:03

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"where I can have a lot of interaction with locals as opposed to tourists"

Then forget Ko Samet. It is 100% tourism and any Thai that lives there is a bar boy, a housekeeper or some other resort employee. Ko Chang is a much bigger island with more options and local people. Bang Bao is a good place to meet local fishermen and their families for example. Sorry there's no magic boat/bridge across the gulf from Cambodia. You can fly from Siem Reap via Bangkok to Ko Samui but it costs an arm and a leg, and any bus option will also be via Bangkok.

Beware of rough seas during monsoon. I had a friend recently drowed on Ko Chang during a casual swim at Lonely Beach.

#7 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 02:22

• idreaminthai

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone!

Unfortunately, the consensus seems to be that I will need to go from Siam Reap to Bangkok and then down, which I was hoping to avoid. As of now, I will be going from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, back to Bangkok, over to Siam Reap, back to Bangkok, down to the islands, and then back to Bangkok for home. It's just a lot of "back to Bangkok"!

Looks like my best option is to cut out either Siam Reap or the islands...it seems a shame to travel all the way to Thailand and not see some of its most beautiful scenery, but it would be amazing to see Angkor Wat and a bit of Cambodia. Any thoughts on which to choose?

#8 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 08:24

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Depends what you like. I much prefer the beaches and islands than going to slimey Cambodia. Ruins are good for a day then it's boring for me but others might spend 3 days exploring them and loving it.

#9 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 09:21

• RokZala

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012

Hi,
    me and my girlfriend are planing a trip in september. How bad is it then in Ko Chang? We're planing to go from Bangkok to Saigon and see some islands and beaches. Which one be the best in that time of the year?

sorry for my bad english, it's late :D

#10 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 15:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Chang, Ko Mak & Ko Kut in july/august ... By primozchwitzchic on 25 Jan 2010 0 5570 25 Jan 2010
Traveling during Monsoon season? ... By clinicalornot on 24 Mar 2010 5 5015 1 Apr 2010
monsoon season/ jungle line ... By ossiferb0b on 18 Sep 2010 0 1303 18 Sep 2010
Thailand/Laos 3rd July-6th August Full moon Party - 3rd July ... By lydmac on 30 Jan 2012 8 2112 13 Apr 2012
Ko Chang in High Season ... By oweka540 on 18 Oct 2008 2 3018 19 Oct 2008