Thailand forum

Swimming lessons in Thailand - islands or mainland

• Shoes4

Click here to learn more about Shoes4
    Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all
    I keep thinking about learning to dive, but not sure that I can do the 200m swim requirement. So I wondered if there is somewhere that I could get swimming lessons. I'm happy in the water and can swim a width of a pool but to my own depth only. Quite flexible about where I can learn.

My provisional itinerary for my last two weeks in Thailand for 2 weeks from 14 until 31st May are a visit to an island or two for the first week and then Chiang Mai on 22nd before returning to BKK for my last three days (a day for Wats and Palaces and a day/or two for shopping!)

Recommendations appreciated.
    Nimisha

#1 Posted: 7/5/2012 - 10:50

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The best program I know of is called "Total Immersion." In the event that a coach is not available in your area, they have training DVDs and books. Unfortunately, there are no TI coaches in Thailand.

Most swimming programs have a "move your legs this way; move your arms this way" approach. What I like about TI is that they start by teaching you how to balance in the water so that it makes it easier for you to glide across the water.

http://www.totalimmersion.net

I am not sure if the "Happy Laps" or the "Perpetual motion freestyle" DVD will be better for you. I think you will need a partner.

#2 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 00:05

• Shoes4

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks 'goonistik'.... DVDs may be hard whilst travelling.

Perhaps this is something I leave until I am back in the UK... do you know if TI have course there? I guess really not related to SEA so I can google otherwise.

N

#3 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 05:27

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

If DVDs are not convenient for the self-learning route, you can consider buying the books.

Here is the link for teachers/programs in the UK.

http://www.totalimmersion.co.uk/07Coaching_and_Swim_Studios.html

#4 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 07:15

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I swim for fitness. Thing is, if you can swim the width of a pool you can swim for miles once you develop some endurance.

I'd start by swimming multiple widths with a break between each to catch my breath. Start with maybe 10 of them and gradually build up.
    After a week or so, start to try double widths, than triple etc. Pretty soon you will be doing the 200m no worries.

Keep up the training when you reach this point but vary it. I usually start with 800m but at the end I throw in some kickboard stuff and some quick 50 and 25m for variety. Even try a few different strokes. This reduces the boredom which is the main enemy of swim training.

#5 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 19:01

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Tezza,

What you are suggesting is correct. The only issue is that some people have such bad stroke mechanics that they "splash about" to do laps. They end up using a lot energy, get all winded out, and they quickly becomes discouraged.

If you look at a pool, very few people glide across the water like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

#6 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 20:55

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Tezza,

What you are suggesting is correct. The only issue is that some people have such bad stroke mechanics that they "splash about" to do laps. They end up using a lot energy, get all winded out, and they quickly becomes discouraged.

If you look at a pool, very few people glide across the water like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

#7 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 20:56

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

There is actually a swim teacher here on Koh Tao.

#8 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 23:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Makes sense with all those learner-divers about.
    Hey, I have worked as a swim teacher - maybe there's a job for me on the islands!

#9 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 04:39

• Shoes4

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks all.

Ayesha - who is the swim teacher at Ko Tao . My problem is exactly as mentioned... I know I can swim but just really don't know how to do it properly so I don't get tired or back ache or whatever.

I've tried to practice a little when have access to a pool.. and kinda of did a 30-40m on my back and probably could have kept going if i could see where I was going and didn't get a little scared. I never even thought I could keep floating / moving on my back as had never allowed myself to try.

Advice on someone to show me technique would be great.

Oh, and also... what is the weather like in Ko Tao at the moment? I leave Singapore and was thinking of flying into Phuket and then making my way across (so travel advice also appreciated) but kinda of uncertain about weather. Will I be better of for sun on the West or Eastern Thai islands?

Thanks

Nimisha

#10 Posted: 13/5/2012 - 04:58

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

The weather here is lovely at the moment - I have sent you a private mail with the swim teachers email address.

#11 Posted: 13/5/2012 - 08:39

• Shoes4

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

thanks Ayesha and all...

#12 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 10:53

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Diving is dangerous unless you are a strong swimmer and it takes more then a few lessons to be a good swimmer. Try 3 months of regular training. It will take you weeks to get the technique right and longer to develop endurance.

#13 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 20:07

• Shoes4

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Long beach and all...
    Nicki the swim teacher didn't get back till after my 3rd day in Ko Tao, so a little late for lessons.

As it went, I managed to do the swim test - 300m with snorkel and flippers rather than 200m without (but still in the deep end of the pool - a big thing for me which i just ignored though with my head under the water). I didn't however manage the 10minute float requirement.

So in the end did the dive experience day...so still got to try diving to 12m or so but didnt have to do the tests and don't have my Open Water card so still have to dive with an instructor. It suited me fine - with no studying and still get to see pretty fish and corals during 2 x 50minute dives, plus extra days lazing on the beach/having massages.

Thanks again for all the responses. I love the travelfish community.

I'm in Chiang Mai now... so happy for suggestions for the 2.5days after my 3 day trek experience with TIC starting tomorrow. Thinking of doing a cookery course on a farm and maybe a thai massage course (but not sure it's wise to think I can learn massage techniques in just 6 hours?) WIll still leave me until almost a full day as have a flight back to BKK booked for 5.3pm on the 28th.

#14 Posted: 22/5/2012 - 10:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Top 4 places from 8 mainland Thailand ... By LeonardCohen1 on 20 Jan 2014 2 459 20 Jan 2014