Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Please Share Your Expertise!!!

• chrisb4

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2012

Hello everyone, thanks for reading. I'm planning a trip to Thailand within the next few months, hopefully to last two to three months. I'm at the stage of making the general plan for the trip, I was wondering if you could all share your expertise, give me advice about where to go and what to see and any useful little tips you may have! I'm trying to get as much advice and information as possible before I start making concrete plans. I haven't done any travelling in Asia before, so I'm a novice. Please indulge me, any comments are welcome. Thank you : )

#1 Posted: 9/5/2012 - 04:32

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi there,

Your enthusiasm makes me smile, but to be honest, your question is too open-ended to yield any helpful responses. There's loads and loads of SE Asia "expertise" on this site -- I suggest you explore the suggested itineraries in the "where to go" section of the "planning" page to get some ideas, then poke around in the destination pages and blogs, then come back to the forum with specific questions on things you're considering.

#2 Posted: 9/5/2012 - 07:56

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

For some very general advice - with 3 months I'd keep it to three countries - Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos seem to be popular variations. Will depend on what you want to see and do - and you'll be best served to spend time floating around the site to decide what interests you. I'd also look at the climate section as that may influence when you want to be where.

#3 Posted: 9/5/2012 - 09:13

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

3 months is a ton of diving... Thats me!!!

#4 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 01:52

• muskey

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hello chris. There are some wonderful places to see in thailand. Ive been about 3 or 4 times now and loved every minute, the people are the friendliest you'll ever meet. I would definitely make time for the 'grand palace' in bangkok, absolutely stunning building and a good 2 or 3 stay on the 'phi phi' islands. Enjoy your trip.

#5 Posted: 19/5/2012 - 22:45

• chrisb4

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2012

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've got a general route already, flying into Bangkok, heading north to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai via Kanchanaburi, then down the east coast to the south. Only going for around two months, so I don't want to be too busy, but at the same time see the main sights!

Just a general query, and maybe a stupid one, but how did you handle money? As in, carry around cash, or take a debit card or open a Thai account or.....?

Thanks!

Chris B

#6 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 08:32

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'd recommend taking some USD and keeping it in a money belt or such. Along with that, a Debit Card should be fine, most of Thailand has ATMS that accept Visa/Mastercard. Make sure you've research any out of the way places and have brought cash with you just in case they don't have an ATM - especially some parts of the islands.

#7 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 09:11

• muskey

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hello again chris. Ive never had a problem carrying or handling cash. When you check into a hotel make sure it as a safe in your room and when your exchanging a large amount of money dont go waving it about. When i went out at night i always wore cargo shorts with deep sucure pockets. Basicly.. keep your wits about you and use your common sense.

#8 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 09:42

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Tuk tuk drivers are friendly and so are the guys selling suits. The average Thai has little to do with tourists and couldn't care less. It's a myth they are the friendliest people. Customer service in restaurants is often terrible.

#9 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 14:55

• chrisb4

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2012

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I'm really looking forward to going out there, I'm determined to make the most of it!

#10 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 15:16

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey - meant to add that I usually bring enough USD for any emergency with my Debit card not working. Usually a couple days worth of food and accommodation, enough to get me by while I contact someone through email and track down a Western Union.

#11 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 20:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.