Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time in Thailand

• ongbeng

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2012

how to arrange the daily activity in Puket ??? it will be aour first visits to Thai , we would like to fulfill our day with the activity like , tour trip or other activity any suggestion ?

#1 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 23:48

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

My suggestion would be don't go to Phuket :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4JQpVmBZSc

#2 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 00:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi ongbeng,

if you are in phuket, stop by the travel agencies or tour desks at hotels to see what your options are. you should find plenty of day trips to places like phi phi, snorkeling, and such. you can also make your own fun by taking the bus into phuket town or to other parts of the island to check out different beaches. renting a scooter is also an option if you have experience riding, but i wouldn't recommend it if you haven't ridden a scooter before. hope that helps. regards.

#3 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 05:42

• ongbeng

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2012

thanks for advice , whisch batter go to the travel agency or hire a driver service for the daily tour . we did this in Bali .

#4 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 21:03

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

http://www.phuket-fever.com/scams-new-tourists.htm - not that I'm a negative person - :)

#5 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 21:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

altmtl, you got to remmember there is a valid reason why a lot of people go to Phuket . It's lost it's backpacker charm, but everyone isn't into backpacker charm. Some people go on vacation and just want to live fat. Phuket is a good place to do that.

#6 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 00:11

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Experience has shown me Phuket is the best base in Thailand for daytrips - and that includes Bangkok.
    The two must not misses IMHO are Phi Phi and the Phang Nga Bay area. The latter is often sold as the James Bond Island trip but that particular tourist trap only takes a small fraction of the day.
    Other daytrips out of Phuket worth doing are Coral Island, Ko Yao Yai and Ko Racha (Raya). Ko Yao Noi is better visited independently - Google will give you ferry schedules and other into.
    Plenty of people also do the Similans and Khao Sok National Park but the Similans are closed until late Oct and Khao Sok is also better visited in dry season. Both are getting towards a bit of a stretch distance wise for daytrips too.
    Every small travel agent on the street and travel desk in hotels will offer these trips. Shop around, prices and content vary a lot.

Phuket has some very nice beaches away from the big 3 so hiring a moto and cruising the west and south coasts can be a good way to spend a day. Not too many people make Paradise Beach/Tri Trang/Tri Tra just south of popular Patong. Also worth checking are Kamala, Laem Singh, Surin, Naithon, Nai Yan, Mai Khao, Cape Panwa all on the west coast and Nai Harn and Cape Promthep in the south.

#7 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 04:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Phuket has a little something of everything. International cuisine, some good beaches, watersports, nightlife for just about every taste (even has a small salsa scene now)... It's over-priced, and it's over-crowded, but if money ain't an issue... Phuket isn't all bad.

#8 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 04:22

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Indeed. I reckon the legion of Phuket knockers on forums never get out of Patong.

#9 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 04:41

• johan1

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2012

thanks for advise.

#10 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 06:07

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

You all have valid points, it's just that "First time in Thailand" may not be aware of what he's in for ? I'll most likely be around that area next year more, but planning to stay on Koh Lanta and travel around... to some of the places Tezza mentioned. - I've never been to Patong :)

#11 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 10:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Just sayin' it all depends on what you want out of your vacation. Generally speaking, people who head for the Islands and the beaches are looking to lounge on the beach, and a lot of those types of people are also looking at other amenities like western cuisine and some nightlife. Not all, of course. Can't apply a cookie carter. But I guess the OP got the info he needed at any rate.

#12 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 21:57

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

No problem with that, I just thought TF was a little more alternative and not aimed at high end tourists on a 2 week get away, if that's the case. I don't think there's anything wrong with presenting opposing views. It's up to the OP to choose. Some people like Trip advisor better - :)

#13 Posted: 13/5/2012 - 01:01

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Huge numbers of 1st timers go to Phuket. Good beaches, nice resorts and tours galore.

All these doomsayer backpackers need to remove the stick from you know where and get off their high horse. These same people then turn around and recommend KSR, a minor road full of touristy garbage or Pai an insignificant over touristed village with little to do.

#14 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 11:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I have to admit I'm with Longbeach here.

KSR is a disaster area. You couldn't pay me to go there. But hey, it appeals to some people and it's a free country.

I've never been to Pai - so I can't comment on it except I have no problem with over-touristed. Go in with eyes open and again, maybe it's your scene.

As for Phuket it is actually a pretty large area with a mix of everything. For your typical backpacker who is looking for some sort of idyle, it's probably not going to meet the mark. Furthermore it isn't cheap. Of course, as the world's population grows, the number of really nice, really isolated beaches gets smaller and smaller. And those that do exist are in places where you might well get shot. Or you can make your way to someplace like Pitcairn Island...

I, like Longbeach, tend to find some elements of backpacker thought a little inconsistent, hard to fathom and sometimes a touch sanctimnious. On the one hand, there is a stated desire to get off the beaten path and absorb culture. On the other hand, they are subject to the gravitational pull of other backpackers to such an extent that they consistently coalesce at specific locations which have become famous in backpacker lore (such as Pai, VV, KSR, etc.) and avoid any contact with indigenous persons except on a very superficial level. I have, of course, noted this peculiarity on other threads here. Backpacking actually appears to have become a sort of sub-culture in which backpackers are more interested in the social aspects of being with other backpackers more than the actual destination itself. Of course that is a generalization and there are plenty of backpackers who literally just want to put their stuff in a pack and wander for parts unknown without western or familiar attachment - sort of like Kane in Kung **. But I would submit those are now the minority and the vast majority would prefer to hit the highlights and fill their nights socializing with people of a familiar linguistic and cultural bent.

As for those who want to remain with the culturally familiar in their socializing whilst on their travels, there is nothing organically wrong with that. The rub only occurs when they pretend that their vacation experience is somehow culturally superior to, say, the typical beach tourist who heads to Phuket to absorb some sun, sand and relaxation. Both are engaging in hedonistic pursuits, just in a different manner.

For me, the hardest part to swallow (and thankfully it's been rare - most backpackers coming through Mukdahan are perfectly normal, decent, people - although Muk is not no any sort of trail whatsoever) is when some kid comes through here and starts trying to advise me on local culture or point out some Faux Pas on my part. Someone who's been in country two weeks and the extent of his (her) knowledge is what they've read in a book. Good God... tough to deal with.

#15 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 23:10

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Well said Madmac

#16 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 06:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.