Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First Time in Thailand - East Coast

• KidCat

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012

Hello Community

I am single female Traveller to Thailand - I stay in Bangkok now, but soon I would like to go to Koh Samet and the Koh Chang Islands.
    Anybody has some Recommendations, where to go and stay?
    Cheers and Thanks

#1 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 06:08

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Bit hard not knowing your budget.
    But for low budget travellers I reckon one of the best locations on big Chang is the enclave of beachfront budget bungalows centered on RockSand towards the quieter north end of the most popular beach and first off the ferry, White Sand Beach.

Lonely Beach is a good budget location popular with long termers and returnees - lots of cheap places in town but right down on the sout end of the beach you should have no problem getting a good value bungalow at Siam Hut.

The islands south of big Chang are jewels. Only problem is you may have to go back to the mainland now high season has ended for transport - and some places will have closed down.
    I'd be checking Ko Wai Paradise and Ko Wai Pakarang, joints like Island Hut and (the cheaper overwater bungalows) at CocoCape on Maak and those cool places travelfish lists along the river at Ban Klong Chao (Jao) on Ki Kut. Kut is best reached from a separate pier from the others - and boats will run for locals in low season. Google will give you info on this.

#2 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 04:33

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Lonely Beach & Ko Wai get my vote :)

#3 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 10:48

• vineetkoush-
    ik

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012

Ko Samet is part of Khao Laem Ya–Ko Samet National Park, which encompasses Khao Laem Ya on the mainland, as well as various other islands. Ko Samet has been developed over the past few years and remains hugely popular with Bangkok folk who take up many of the rooms during the weekends.

Koh Chang, Thailand's second largest island, is the central point of Koh Chang National Marine Park, part of a marine national park consisting of mostly uninhabited islands. In recent years the beautiful paradise beaches of 'Elephant Island' have started attracting international tourists. As a National Marine Park, the area is protected and the island has developed with the environment in mind. All new buildings have been designed to enhance the landscape, not destroy it. Koh Chang is is quickly becoming one of Thailand's most popular islands for people from all over the world!

Thanks
    MVMTravel.com

#4 Posted: 13/5/2012 - 13:31

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um. I didn't mention Samet. Nice island to visit. Usually drier than most Thai islands n the wet season and virturally all the beaches are on the sheltered east coast. Lots of nice beaches but I like Ao Pudsa/Tubtim which has two nice places to stay with a good range of bungalows down to budget, is a nice beach, quiet at night but a relatively short walk to the livelier beaches just north.
    The one catch with Samet it is is popular with weekending and public holidaying Thais - you usually need to pre book if arriving then.

#5 Posted: 13/5/2012 - 19:06

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Lonely beach is horrible. Lots of trash lying around and the beach is more prone to dangerous currents during wet season. You best bet is to stay between White Sands and Kaibee. Safer for swimming and lots more food choices. The road to Lonely beach is also hilly and dangerous on a bike so you are isolated in a not so good area.

#6 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 20:10

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

true I saw a lot of trash, but I didn't like the vibe on the other beaches on Koh Chang that I saw.

#7 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 21:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
East or west coast this time of year? ... By sallymaher on 30 Oct 2007 6 3106 1 Nov 2007
East coast or West coast thailand? ... By steffanmathias on 20 Oct 2008 3 15711 25 Oct 2008
Road trip USA - East coast to West coast ... By svinoth03 on 12 Sep 2012 0 812 12 Sep 2012
South Thailand to East Coast Malaysia - any other ideas? ... By goodquestion on 28 Mar 2008 0 2128 28 Mar 2008
East Coast to West Coast! ... By Glome on 5 Nov 2011 2 1968 6 Nov 2011
East coast vs. West coast? ... By olsons on 20 Aug 2007 2 4346 27 Aug 2007
East Coast Beaches ... By Lraj on 25 Apr 2012 3 1806 4 May 2012
Koh Phagnan East Coast around FMP ... By JohnnyM on 9 Nov 2012 3 1570 13 Nov 2012
East Coast / Islands ... By nedders on 27 Jan 2010 6 3559 25 Jan 2011
East Coast of Malaysia in August ... By starfish on 17 Feb 2011 9 4345 9 Jun 2011