Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Air Con or Fan?

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Well it's Easter Monday - and don't ask me why, but I suddenly thought I'd stick my personal opinions/experiences about whether to go air-con or not on here! Hope someone may find them useful... feel free to agree or disagree!

Bangkok - for me, air con is a must! I love the place but the smog and lack of breeze that seems to exist at all times really does make walking into a non-air con room like walking into a wall of heat! Fans just don't seem to help...

Outside of Bangkok I think a lot depends on how long you are travelling for...

Last time I travelled for just 3 weeks - it was more of a holiday and went for air con everytime. It meant I got a good nights sleeps and went home feeling relaxed... However, it did mean I suffered more during the day as I didn't adapt as well to the heat/humidity.

When I travelled for 3 months though, I never bothered with air con and after a while got really used to not being that cold at night and enjoying the breeze etc through the windows. I also adapted much quicker to the day time temperatures by not having uber-cold rooms at night...

So, thats my experience on the matter! Hope it proves useful to someone!

#1 Posted: 9/4/2007 - 19:09

• Advertisement

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,
    It does really depend when you travel (and where! Thailand is big and the weather is really different in different places)
    If you go ANYWHERE in April, you NEED aircon. It is pretty stifling, and hot and you just pray for the rain which doesn't arrive yet.
    But in other places at other times of year, I always forgo the aircon. Fans are usually enough...
    ALISON

#2 Posted: 12/4/2007 - 15:05

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Id say air con anytime of year but coming from the UK im used to the cold :) In my experience fans in Thailand just blow hot air on you like a hairdryer!

Aircon. :)

#3 Posted: 15/4/2007 - 21:02

• MJS

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

I absolutely agree on the need for aircon (and hot water shower) in Bangkok, for the same reasons mentioned. On the islands, fan (and cold water) was sufficient.

#4 Posted: 16/4/2007 - 22:01

• grantroger

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

cmon..bangkok goes up to 36 degrees sometimes..u GOTTA have aircon! Its not a matter of choice!

#5 Posted: 19/4/2007 - 23:49

• Loops

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

I don't mind fan - I live in Singapore and never use air-con at home but my husband for some reason insists on having it when we go on holiday. I'd prefer to go with the fan and save money.

In Bangkok I'd probably go for air con as I wouldn't want to sleep with my window open.

#6 Posted: 22/4/2007 - 20:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.