Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand & Siem Reap for 19 Days in July! Critique our itinerary.

• I3igDmsu

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2012

I have begun the preliminary stages of planning our 19 dayhoneymoon to Thailand/Cambodia in July. We would like to see as much aspossible but relax on the beach and dive for about a week. We enjoy hiking,ruins, and anything adventurous. Here is our itinerary so far:

1.0 Day: Land in Bangkok -> Bangkok (jet lag, markets,shopping)

4.5 Days: Fly to Siem Reap -> Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)-> Fly from Siem Reap to Chiang Mai (leg in Bangkok 4-6 hours total)

4.5 Days: Chiang Mai (elephant rides, temples, trekking,cooking class) -> Fly from Chiang Mai to Ko Samui

6.0 Days: (recommendations on how to dive these days up?) Ko Samui / Ko Pha Ngan / Ko Tao (beaches,spas, full moon parties, beginner dives, snorkeling, waterfalls, kayaking, relax,not rainy season in July here) -> Ferry from Ko Tao to Ko Samui -> Fly KoSamui to Bangkok (need 1 day lag between diving in Ko Tao and/or Pha Ngan andflying)

2.0 Days: Kanchanaburi / Erwan / Hellfire Pass (Bridge OverKwai, temples, caves, memorials, animals, waterfalls, railway)

1.5 Days: Bangkok (markets, temples, massages) -> Fly Home

#1 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 13:11

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Day 1 - don't bother doing your shopping at this stage. For starters, you don't want to be lugging stuff around, you will most likely make 'bargaining' mistakes, and you will see other stuff to buy along the way. Leave your Bkk shopping to the end.

Koh Samui/KPN/Tao - I would suggest not trying to do all 3 islands in 6 days. Cut it back to two if you really need to get off of Samui. Koh Phangan is actually quite big and you could easily spend a few days exploring (esp the northern end). trying to get to Koh Tao just means more time wasted checking in/out, finding accom, getting to/from ferry terminals, waiting time, etc, etc. You could possibly look at a day trip from KPN to Koh Tao if you really wanted - for example, a snorkle trip that will circle Koh Tao, stopping at about 7 different snorkle stops including a drop-off on Koh Nang Yuan.

Don't forget it's your honeymoon - you want to have some time to RELAX and enjoy each other's company. Not racing from one place to the next.

#2 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 14:58

• I3igDmsu

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We really want to scuba dive (beginners) and have heard Ko Tao is best for this and is not as built-up with resorts as Ko Samui and KPN. Thoughts? Also, how many days is too much in Ko Tao?

#3 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 15:18

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

You can easily do your diving from Koh Phangan. There is no need to go all the way to Koh Tao. Most dive sites are the same regardless of which island. Koh Tao is not better, just cheaper. The sites are closer to Koh Tao so the costs involved getting to these sites are less, resulting in cheaper diving.

#4 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 19:30

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you want to go to Koh Tao, then consider skipping Koh Phangan. Alternatively if your flight times allow it, go straight from the airport to ferry to go to KPN, and miss out on Samui....?

I just 3 islands in 6 days is too much. You will lose 1/2 day at least as you move between them by the time you get door to door. That's a lot out of a 6-day allotment, for not much gain. As the others have said, you will end up reaching the same diving spots anyhow.

#5 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 19:52

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I did 5 days on Koh Tao, 5 on Koh Phangan and 1 on Samui... As a diver, Koh Samui was one of my fav dives sites in the world. I did 7 dives. Lizzy is right, its cheap compared to the other Islands.
    Check out "New Way: in Koh Tao, they were awesome and actually the cheapest!! PM me if you want more details. I looked around and it seemed by far the best. Might as well save time as I took a day just finding a place to dive with..

I spent 3 nights in Siem Reap and its was very rushed to see everything.. I did get a lot done but not much relax time - aside for $1.00 foot massages...

#6 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 17:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can anyone help on itinerary Thailand-Siem Reap for 4 days ... By pet_united on 27 Mar 2010 3 5554 16 Sep 2010
Critique our itinerary: 26 days in SE Asia ... By pcharrig on 21 Feb 2011 4 3920 21 Aug 2012
Itinerary Critique - Vietnam South to North in 6 days ... By camsydt on 3 May 2013 8 2412 12 May 2013
Siem reap and Thailand in a few days ... By valerinaaa on 20 Mar 2012 1 931 10 May 2012
Critique my Thailand itinerary! ... By TorontoJay on 1 Aug 2013 5 1711 5 Aug 2013
Siem Reap-Battamburg-Phnomh Penh-Kep-Siem Reap Possible in 9 or 10 days?? ... By sharoonie on 12 Dec 2011 6 4043 13 Dec 2011
4 Weeks in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - Critique my Itinerary! ... By guyincognito on 25 Feb 2013 4 2536 28 Feb 2013
SE Asia Trip: Hong Kong, Thailand, Siem Reap, Indonesia - itinerary and transport advice please! ... By magalaya on 4 Apr 2013 2 1580 8 Apr 2013
July 11 - 15 Siem Reap ... By juliermrz on 8 Jul 2012 0 577 8 Jul 2012
Taxi sharing from Siem reap to koh ker (july 15 to 17) ... By chotraj on 30 Jun 2014 0 383 30 Jun 2014