Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Backpack or suitcase with wheels?

• Emma23

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2012

Ok experienced travellers, I would like to know whether it's better to take a backpack (one of the bigger kind) or a small suitcase with wheels? I'll be travelling around Thailand for just over 3 weeks and have been reading that nowadays travellers tend to take cases with wheels (small ones obviously) rather than carry around backpacks. Any advice for a first time traveller?

#1 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 03:19

• Advertisement

• Bartje83

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2012
    Location Netherlands

Depends on the kind of travelling you'll do. If it's off the plane into the taxi to the hotel, a suitcase will do. If there's more walking and changes of vehicles involved, I'd say a backpack is much more useful.

#2 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 03:29

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Unless you're all pre-booked and catching taxi's as Bartje83 mentioned, I'd have to vote for backpack. There are seldom flat surfaces in south-east asia and footpaths are generally uneven, cracked, super crowded or non-existent so navigating all of the people/animals/stalls, motorbikes etc that crowd the walkways could be a nightmare, and I can't even imagine dodging cars and tuk tuk's and scooters on a busy road in Bangkok or Hanoi whilst trying to wheel a suitcase behind me.

If you're worried about not being able to manage the weight of a backpack you can buy pretty decent backpacks which also have retractable wheels so both options are available to you. That would seem like a good option :)

#3 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 05:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

One of the funniest memories I have (at someone else's expense) is watching a couple of young girly-girls taking their over-sized wheelie suitcases off the boat in Railey and trying to drag them through the sand. If you're spending time on any of the smaller islands, do yourself a favour, and forget the wheels!

The hybrid type (backpack with wheels) as suggested by shaydan could be a great option for a 3-week trip, and still be useful for travel beyond this trip.

#4 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 06:01

• tomdegoeij

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2012

I have experience with both backpacks and suitcases with wheels. I prefer a suitcase with wheels. To be more specific: the kind of suitcase that has four wheels which have swiveling capability. That way you can move very flexible, have the suitcase next to you when walking (instead of behind you), move through small aisles, etc. I find this more comfortable than carrying a heavy backpack in the hot and humid tropics.

Agreed, backpacks do better on smooth surfaces than on rough surfaces, but even on Bangkok pavements or the occasional sandy path I don't mind having a suitcase on four wheels.

It would be a different thing if you're going to do long days in the forest with all your stuff or something like that. In such cases backpacks would be more practical for sure.

#5 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 11:23

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Backpacks are better for islands. But it's not a big deal either way. Buy whatever suits you. You want a strong one that will last years to come.

#6 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 11:36

• tomdegoeij

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2012

I second that. Buy something sturdy, wether backpack or suitcase. If you buy a backpack, buy one that suits you well. Go to a quality store and have someone assist you with choosing one. If you go for a suitcase, I would go for the sturdy plastic variants without a zipper. The flexible ones with a zipper tend to break more easily...

#7 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 14:23

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

After using a backback.... I don't think I will use a suit case ever again, for any trip!! Plus backpacks are much easier to ride a scooter with..

#8 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 17:26

• tasqeenm

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2012

We backpacked at 50 with our children, except that they were the ones with the suitcases on wheels and we were the ones with the backpacks. Since we didn't do islands, mostly, bus travel across, Thailand, Camboida, Vietnam, Laos, we found both worked equally well, so long as you travel light. My personal preference though is a backpack for extended travel from place to place.

If interested you could check out my blog on our trip from Bangkok to Siem Reap. http://thequaintmenu.wordpress.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=post

#9 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 22:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suitcase vs. Backpack??? ... By OliveOyle826 on 4 Jan 2013 9 3974 24 Jan 2013
Backpack or rolling suitcase ... By msuerowan on 24 Nov 2009 20 14538 21 Nov 2010