Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa info

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving out to Thailand in October perhaps November, we plan on staying for a couple years or however long we like but will return to the UK when we want to have kids. We plan on staying in Ko Lanta for a few months, then Ko Lipe for a few. We would prob go home for June and July then return or even go to the mainland. I would like some info regarding visa's.

I'll give you our story first. I am a marine engineer and work away for 6 weeks then home for 6 weeks. I can stay anywhere in the world as my company will fly me to my ship. I will not be looking for work when in Thailand but my girlfriend will. Can you advise me on what visas we need. I know my girlfriend will need a working visa but how do you go about getting one and at what cost? Also, I know I can just do some trips to Malaysia and back to renew my tourist visa but is there another option for me so I dont have to do any visa runs? Cheers

Jamie

#1 Posted: 19/5/2012 - 11:10

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Your girlfriend can not get a work permit without a job. Same goes for a non-immigrant B visa. You will both have to enter on a tourist visa. I suggest you get a triple entry visa in the UK before you arrive.

Once she finds works then the company should arrange all necessary documents for her work permit and visa. You will have to stay on tourist visas. If you were married you could get a non-immigrant o visa through her (after she gets a work permit).

This means you will have to go to Malaysia every 60 days once the initial triple entry runs out. But if you go back to the UK then you can get another triple entry there. If not, go to Laos where you can get a double entry tourist visa.

#2 Posted: 19/5/2012 - 21:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.