Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Island route

• Ngozi

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

Hi

Im visiting Thailand approx December/January this time and I'm thinking of just visiting the southern islands on the west coast as I've seen the east coast already.

I really would like to try and fit in krabi, phuket, the phi phi islands, koh lanta, koh ngai and koh mook. I would probably be staying 2-3 days at each place.

Ive never travelled before without having everything booked beforehand so I'm abit clueless as to how to go about it.

I would like some help in the best route to take and the best way to reach krabi. Last time I travelled I took the sleeper train down to the southern part but is it possible to fly to krabi and then start the island hop or fly to near phuket and begin???

Help!!

Thankyou

#1 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 03:12

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Phuket , Krabi , Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Koh Ngai and then Koh Mook...This keeps you going in one direction. You can fly to either Phuket or Krabi to start and get to Koh Phi Phi from either place by ferry.
    Flying from BKK (I'm assuming that's where you're starting!) to Krabi takes about an hour (same for Phuket). I think I flew AirAsia before for around $80US - but prices depend on how early you book the flight.
    I don't think it matters where you start - in terms of directional travel. If you want to see Phuket then start there and if not - then start in Krabi.

#2 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 10:49

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Not much point going for only 2 days. You need to allocate 3 nights each if you want to see much at all. You lose half a day travelling.

#3 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 14:53

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Yes you can fly to Krabi as well as to Phkuet, which is the better place to start as tyler said. After Ko Mook you can fly from Trang back to BKK or head back to Krabi and fly from there.

Another option is to fly or take the train to Trang. Then go the opposite way, heading back from Phuket.

#4 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 20:39

• Ngozi

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

Thanks everyone.

We've decided then to fly from bangkok to krabi using AirAsia and then back from Trang. Think we were being abit too adventurous trying to fit in 6 islands in three weeks so we're just going to see four and spend abit longer at each so were not rushing about.

:)

#5 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 06:28

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Bear in mind that late December and early January is ultra peak season for the islands. You could probably find places to stay by just showing up but with your tight schedule it will be wise to pre-book accommodation (and flights) well in advance. Honestly, and I know you didn't ask for this, but it seems like a real run-around trying to "do" all those islands in such a short stretch. Having been to all of them before I'd recommend flying into Krabi, then Phi Phi, Lanta, then maybe Ko Kradan. Or Tigerline ferry to Lipe, speedboat to Pak Bara and flight ex-Hat Yai to Bangkok. Or cut out a couple more stops and actually relax.

#6 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 08:11

• samkallis

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Tour Phuket can offer you several things to take pleasure in. Once you will land on the island of you can feel the real culture of this land. The style hospitality can show you the real face of culture in Phuket. Here you can find the Sino-Portuguese architecture, which is rare at other tourist destinations

#7 Posted: 22/5/2012 - 07:08

• Ngozi

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

Thanks for your replies :)

One more question... As weve got a strict 3weeks off would it best to prearrange everything beforehand? Domestic flights, places to stay and ferry/speedboat transfers? Because we're going peak season I dont want things to be sold out etc you see...

#8 Posted: 22/5/2012 - 09:18

• Ngozi

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

also we're we wanting to travel from trang to koh phi phi? is this possible direct? we will be travelling in peak season

#9 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 15:44

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

24 dec to 26 dec plus NYE is wise to book ahead but otherwise no. Good to have flexibility. You may not like some islands.

#10 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 18:44

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.