Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang mai to...???

• Emma23

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2012

I need some advice on what to after my stay in Chiang Mai . I would like to leave Chiang Mai on the 18th August early and go somewhere either by plane or by land for a couple of days. I need to be back in Bangkok for my flight back to Spain on the 21st. My flight leaves at 1:30am on the 21st so really need to be back in Bangkok on the 20th - around 10ish. Any suggestions?? Thought about an island - too far?? Any help enormously appreciated.

#1 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 07:17

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

So that gives you 2 1/2 days . . . I imagine a lot of folks would just recommend you go back to BKK early and enjoy a few nights there - but I'm guessing you're full up on there if you aren't planning to return until a few hours before your flight. Aytutthaya is on the way back to BKK - you could catch a bus down there and spend 2 nights there. 2 nights in Aytutthaya could be pleasant and if you don't mind one more night in BKK that way you won't have to worry about rushing into BKK before your flight departes.

Otherwise just catch a flight to Phuket and spend the time there, flying back to BKK a few hours before your flight departs and stay in the airport.

#2 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 07:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Ayutthaya was the first place that came to my mind too, because it is a nice stopover for that amount of time and is a quick journey into Bangkok from there. Ayutthaya has many worthwhile ruins to visit from the old city, more than a few good riverside restaurants, and a fun backpacker section.

Another option that comes to mind is Kanchanaburi , which is also good for a two-night stopover. Kanchanaburi is more of an outdoors/nature spot, but also has very good history with the Bridge over the river Kwai museums and cemeteries and maybe even a side trip to Hellfire Pass.

One last idea is to break up your trip to Bankok with a visit to Kamphaeng Phet or Sukhothai. Both are good stops, but they won't put you as close to BKK as Ayutthaya or Kanchanaburi. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 09:34

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Two days is barely enough to be concerned with, and flying somewhere for that amount of time seems like a waste of money. A lot of young travellers like to shoot up to Pai for a couple days. It takes 3 hours one way by minivan, then you could come back to CM on the 20th and fly to BKK. There are many other good spots within a few hours of Chiang Mai by bus or minivan (or motorbike). Personally I find the middle part of Thailand pretty boring and prefer to spend extra time in the far north.

#4 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 07:56

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

In general, I agree with the Captain (above), and would say stay in the north, don't stress yourself, and just get all you can out of your stay up there.

Another more adventurous alternative, given your time limitations, would be to take a train or bus south from Chiang Mai, and pick a place to get off. Kamphaeng Phet would be interesting for sure, and is not visited as much by tourists as many of the other larger cities, so you could have a more culturally interesting time there, if that appeals to you.

Stay a day or so, and get back on the train or bus and make your way southwards towards Bangkok. Just an idea.

#5 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 22:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.