Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Traditional Thai Tattoo/ Sak Yant

• soontobewrl-
    dtrv

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2012

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on being in Chiang Mai in two weeks and am very interested in getting a traditional tattoo, to my understanding they are called Sak Yant. I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a certain temple or monk that does it and can direct me to a good place. I have done some reading, and important things to me are cleanliness, the use of "mainstream" inks because I have read that the traditional inks could have long term health risks, and that the monk is well versed, because I'm looking for this to be as legitimate as possible. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

#1 Posted: 22/5/2012 - 15:24

• Advertisement

• PPeacHH

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2012

I'm sure there are popular temple to go to for that but unfortunately I do not know which one. I best suggestion will be ask around to regular tattoo place or ask any Thais who has Yan Tattoo on.

#2 Posted: 4/6/2012 - 20:06

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

tatoo shop is called laan sak
    they stich it by wood, or mashine
    if you wanna long lasting colours
    wood - but you'll bleed and double time
    better look for a pro shop
    5x5in. 30$ and take care-oil it
    no wash 3 days, no sun 1 week

#3 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 11:34

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

I got a sak yant from a Monk in a temple outside Bangkok called Wat Bang Phra, its 50k towards the Nakhon Chai Si district!

take a taxi from Bangkok about 100bhat return, it was free and it was done with a single piece of sharpened steel, dipped in a mixture of oil and charcoal, and the steel was sterilised in a solution cant remember what but it was cleaned

i also got a few bamboo tattoo sak yants done in shops but they just tie some needles to a piece of bamboo and use tattoo ink, so it depends how authentic you want to be!

#4 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 13:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sak Yant Tattoo ... By lostintime on 10 Nov 2013 1 591 10 Nov 2013
Sak-Yant Sacred Tattoo Artists in Thailand ... By rsthomas on 30 Aug 2008 3 4564 5 Mar 2009
Traditional Thai Dance ... By msadek on 21 Oct 2010 2 1269 23 Oct 2010
Traditional Thai Tattoos ... By KatieI on 21 Aug 2009 1 1251 21 Aug 2009