Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

anti malaria not usually advised in Thailand

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

I have just bought 50 Doxycycline tablets for £39 from the 'well travelled clinic in Liverpool' they do have a web site - www.shop.welltravelledclinics.co.uk although we did have to see someone first. She showed me a great web site where you can view a 'malaria map'. www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk - go to 'destinations' - click on the map at the 'east asia region' then click the country you want then select 'malaria map' - you will see that Thailand is low to none risk and anti malarias are not usually advised. remember tho that you need to take for high risk such as Laos, Vietnam ect 2 days before and 4 weeks after so maybe try and plan your trip to visit high risk one after the other. this is the advice I have been given by the well travelled clinic which is a subsidiary of the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. See you in August - cant wait!!

#1 Posted: 24/5/2012 - 07:19

• Advertisement

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

just looked at the receipt and it was 2 x 50 (100) doxycycline for £39 - bargain!

#2 Posted: 24/5/2012 - 11:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The only area I have heard where that is considered maybe recommended is out in Loei, and then maybe not. At this point most people think it should just be a treatment.

#3 Posted: 25/5/2012 - 09:47

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

The biggest bargain is spending "0" and not taking useless meds that are not 100% effective.

#4 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 07:55

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Most of the long-time travellers to the region I know don't take anti-malarials. It is a very personal decision, so I'd never say take them or don't take them, but I'm comfortable saying that I don't take them. The problem for me is that I'm not convinced that the potential health benefits are worth the potential health risks or the financial costs.

Instead, what I try to do is use a good bug spray, cover up when needed - particularly at dawn and dusk - and sleep under a mosquito net. I know others have also commented on how important it is to start out healthy and maintain a healthy diet rich in fruits and veggies, which is easy to do on the road in southeast Asia.

In my experience, other insect-borne diseases, like Japanese Encephalitis, are a bigger worry than malaria, and while the anti-malarials can't help with the other stuff, covering up and using bug spray can.

Again, personal choice. Do what makes you comfortable and best fits your style. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 08:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Would you get anti-malaria and anti-rabies preventative treatments for Luang Prabang? ... By EdwardTrunk on 15 Jan 2014 4 1531 19 Jan 2014
Anti-malaria tablets, I need help! ... By torilou on 10 Jun 2010 7 4997 17 Jun 2010
Malaria & anti-Malarials --> Do I really need them? ... By tatham on 10 May 2010 10 5142 15 May 2010
anti- malaria tablets really needed? ... By Jolinde on 22 Jun 2010 3 3133 25 Jun 2010
doxycycline (Anti-Malaria) in Hanoi ... By CharlieP on 26 Jun 2010 0 2527 26 Jun 2010