Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Early in Phuket, wanna go to Koh Samui by bus/ferry. Some advice please :)

• NL050

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2012

Hello everyone..

I've read a lot on this forum already, which have been great, thx! Now I'd like to have some more detailed info. Hope you can help me!

Next 4th of June I'll arrive at Phuket airport at 2 AM (so early!). I'd like to go to Koh Samui by bus + ferry asap. Best thing to do, from the info I've got now, is go get a government bus or mini van to surat thani or dong sak, then a ferry. Regarding to this some questions:

1) Where should I go to get these busses? And how do I get there? (do people speak English?)

2) What time can I get a bus (or should I get a hotel first)? And should I book in advance? (if so, how?)

3) What's better to go to surat thani or don sak? What's the time/price difference

4) Any other advice, tips or anything else regarding this journey to make it a save, not expensive and maybe a bit comfortable one?! :)

Hope you all can give me some good advice and/or clear info. Looking forward to read it!

A lot of thanks in advance..!!

#1 Posted: 24/5/2012 - 12:12

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

There are so many variables here. This is what I would do (but I am a dude who can miss a night's sleep):

Catch a taxi from the airport to Phuket bus station in Phuket town. Max 400baht - 35 minutes that time of night.

Tell them at the bus station you want a bus/van-ferry ticket to Samui. People understand English enough to do the job.
    My experience is that the bus goes via Khao Lak and Khao Sok (the long way) so you may be looking at 5 hours just to Surathani - but the first bus may be around 5am, considerably earlier than the van. The van takes a shorter route.
    You will probably have to change at Surathani town to a bus/van which goes to the pier out of town. Most of the day ferries leave from Don Sak - you would be restricting your options going from town or closer to town. The bus/van to Don Sak is quicker than the ferry down-river from Surathani town.

Okay, if you want to sleep, book a room or a dorm bed at Phuket Backpackers' in Phuket town - they have a good travel desk and can arrange your trip thru to Samui. The van will probably pick you up at the door.

#2 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 04:33

• NL050

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2012

Hey Tezza..

What an reply, thank you so much! I feel I'm good to go now..

Thx thx thx!!

#3 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 23:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cambodia to Kho Samui Ferry? ... By TravellingScot on 4 Mar 2010 4 10742 16 Sep 2010
Ferry from Samet to Samui? ... By KerryH on 3 Aug 2006 2 1700 3 Aug 2006
Ko Samui Ferry terminal for Ko tao? ... By gally45 on 2 Jan 2010 3 5647 2 Jan 2010
Enough time to catch the ferry in Koh Samui?? ... By marie79 on 4 Oct 2013 2 721 5 Oct 2013
Pattaya to Samui or Phangan by ferry ... By Kristi on 30 Nov 2006 3 3988 1 Dec 2006
Day time train +bus+ferry from Bankok to koh Samui ... By Jenn80 on 4 May 2012 1 1359 4 May 2012
Ferry to Phi Phi from Phuket ... By jessie604 on 5 Jan 2008 1 2165 6 Jan 2008