Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand in October??

• Sunnymay

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2012

Hey guys and gals, bf and I are planning to go to Thailand for two weeks beginning of October. I read that it's rainy season. My question is, is it still worth going? Another option is going to Indonesia but Thailand is where we're hoping to go. This will be our first time to either of the places mentioned. Thanks in advance for your help!

#1 Posted: 25/5/2012 - 19:17

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Depends where you are going and what you are expecting.

http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/october

#2 Posted: 25/5/2012 - 22:29

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I travel Thailand a lot in wet season, have always had enough sunshine for a good beach holiday. At the same time, October tends to be one of the wettest months. Check the link above for Ko Samet (might have to find stats for Rayong, the nearest big town) which tends to be the driest wet season island. One area to maybe avoid is the southern Gulf (Samui and neighbours) which tends to have a shocker about on year in every 4/5 but not necessarily on a regular basis. The Rangong islands up near Burma tend to be pretty wet too.

Indo - well I've been to Bali a few times beginning of Oct. Wet season is usually just starting to kick in, meaning lots of sunshine with some really good storms etc. I've found as you push east of Bali it gets progressively drier.

#3 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 04:15

• pollitoriqu-
    ito

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012

Tezza and others-

Will be coming approx. Sep. 30 from Siem Reap and want to spend about a week on an Island or two with my girlfriend.

Debating whether to cross the border and head south to Ko Chang and surrounding areas or going Siem Reap-Bangkok and then heading south from there.

Any recommendations for an Island at this time for a week long romantic get away?

Would prefer bungalow on the beach, area with facilties (restaurants and bars would be nice, but hardcore partying isnt in the plan.), and if possible good snorkeling. However, our main concern is the weather!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

#4 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 08:41

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

No guarantees one way or the other but early October can be a real washout or sometimes not too bad. The SW/NE monsoon seasons are usually in mid-shift so it's unpredictable which side of the country will be wetter/drier. Every year is different so maybe check conditions closer to the time of your visit.

#5 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 08:17

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ditto Bob.

Big Ko Chang and neighbours tend to be the wettest in Thailand and although the wet season usually tails off earlier there than most places I reckon early Oct is a bit TOO early.

Ko Samet is not too far away and surprisingly has the rep as the driest wet season island, although that does not guarantee THIS Oct will be real dry.
    If you don't want to travel too far this may be the best bet. I'm a fan of Ao Pudsa/Ao Tubtim which is the a quiet attractive beach with 2 nice budget/flashpacker places to stay and a short walk to the action on beaches just north.

But hey, I travel a lot in wet season - I've always got enough sunshine for a good beach stay - and with the right company and a good location+bungalow those rainy periods can be idyllic.

#6 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 04:18

• pollitoriqu-
    ito

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012

Thanks Tezza.

I've been reading a lot and we've eliminated Ko Chang due to possible weather and dangerous swimming conditions.

The dates for the island are now Oct 3-8

We're now considering one of the following:

Ko Lipe - Sounds awesome. Not sure about transport and/or amount of activity on the island at this time (ie will restaurants/bars/accomodation be open).
    Ko Tao - Sounds good as well but would like input on how it is at this time, where to stay
    Ko Pha Ngan - idem
    Ko Phi Phi - It's our first time in Thailand. Is it worth it (the pictures tell me yes but reports conflict)??

Ko Samet - Not a top choice but considering it due to supposedly better weather.

As I mentioned in my previous post our criteria are:

"Would prefer bungalow on the beach, area with facilties (restaurants and bars , but hardcore partying isnt in the plan.), and good snorkeling/safe swimming."

What's your opinion Tezza and others?

We are considering reserving in advance in order to take advantage of a agoda/late stays special at a nicer place, as we have a higher budget for this leg and we want to end the trip on a high note - up to 2500 baht a night, so we would also appreciate recommendations for places to stay on these islands.

Thanks!

#7 Posted: 16/6/2012 - 12:09

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

do you want snorkeling or diving?
    i stay thailand 4 4 month and it's the
    most dry time i remember for 10 years
    my idea is go bkk and a domestic flight to ko samui
    stay at chaweng-beach and get a 1 week tour to
    ang thong national park (in tents, no house allowed)
    -maybe most beautiful place on earth!
    thailand maybe rain - filipins got storm!
    good luck

and write some more!

#8 Posted: 17/6/2012 - 03:49

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I would consider Ko Muk and Hai/Ngai. The emerald lagoon is pretty good and Hai has off the beach snorkelling. Trang town has a great night market.

Otherwise Krabi which makes it easy to visit Phi Phi for a day.

#9 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 06:55

• pollitoriqu-
    ito

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012

We've decided on Ko Lipe.

We're thinking of catching the overnight train to Trang and from there heading to Pak Barra pier. Unless there are any other suggestions on the best way to get to the island?

Thanks for all of the input!

#10 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 14:12

• Advertisement

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I note from the web link that calypso has provided you that coming from Bangkok travel to Hat Yai then to Pak Barra Pier.

From my notes there is 1 boat daily in low season from Pak Barra Pier departing at 1pm arriving 2.30pm. But boat times can always change so make sure you double check when you get to Hat Yai/Trang.

Don't know your accom. budget so suggest you read reviews on tripadvisor.com. Some hotels have their own website. Tip: even some midrange hotels don't have hot water.

#11 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 07:44

• jems28

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

Hello,

According to me,July to October is the best time to travel in Thaiand.

Thanx

#12 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 04:31

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

I have been to Thailand in October twice. The first time was 2 years ago and I hardly seen any rain apart from a quick downpour at evening time. This was on the Islands and Bangers.

Last year I was in Bangkok when the whole place flooded and i was wading around knee deep in water.

So Its a mixed bag really. You'll have a great time no matter 'wat' (pun intended) happens.

#13 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 05:40

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

October is a good time if you want less tourists and lower prices. I've been Sept/Oct and the weather was pretty good. People stress too much over the name rainy season. Look up the stats and the mm averages arent that high in many places. Often 10-20 min showers only.

#14 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 07:44

• varun9654

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

Weather of Thailand in October become to much romantic most of people prefer & make their Tour & choose October month in Thailand.

#15 Posted: 1/8/2012 - 05:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.