Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai to Bangkok for early morning flight

• softburiedh-
    eart

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2012

I am going to be in Chiang Mai for a while, then fly home from BKK. My flight is at a bit of an awkward time, around 8.20am, checking in around 6.20.
    Ideally I'd like to get the bus the day before my flight overnight, the latest bus i could probably take arriving at around 2am. Would there be safe and reliable transport to get to the airport at that time, or is it better to come down a day before and stay the night in Bangkok? Is there a better way to do this?
    I don't want to fly because of the price, and the fact that timing would still be an issue...
    Any help you can offer would be really appreciated!

#1 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 01:21

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If it's a government licensed bus it should arrive at Mo Chit bus station where there are always taxis available around the clock. If you get in at 2am then plenty of time to get a taxi to the airport, and traffic will be very light.

#2 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 08:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Assuming you are coming somewhere far away, it would be very painful t get off the plane after a long ride and then get onto a bus for a long ride. I would spend at least one night in Bagnkok.

#3 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 22:46

• softburiedh-
    eart

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2012

Thanks Captain_Bob - it will be a government licensed bus! Reassuring to know that it won't be deserted!
    MADMAC, i will have been in Chiang Mai, going to Bangkok to get my flight back home so it will be before the long journey.

#4 Posted: 1/6/2012 - 22:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

OK, I would also say the inverse is also true. Long bus ride to then get on a plane for along plane ride. No matter which order you put it in, it's a long trip followed immediately by a long trip.

The other thing I would be concerned about is a breakdown and missing my plane. Improbable, but not impossible. I'd give myself a day.

#5 Posted: 2/6/2012 - 05:31

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I agree a long bus ride followed by a long flight is less than ideal, but at least you'll have time at the airport to freshen up a bit, maybe change your shirt, etc so you stay comfortable and don't stink on the flight. Those aircon buses can actually be pretty frosty as is the airport so if you grab an aircon taxi in between you could remain cool as a cucumber throughout. Might even need an extra layer.

#6 Posted: 2/6/2012 - 12:39

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

8.20 is not at all an awkward time for a flite.
    BUT arr at 2.00 at Mochit is-there will be very, very few buses ex CMX that will. Tipically all nitebuses arr BKK by 5.00/5.30. Unlike the trains they are reliable enough to be trusted on that. Also: most of you farang will have no clue as to what bus does what-stops where, at all or not and arr. time. People selling the tickets in CMX also will only have a mild guess-they do not know either-in the exact demanding way that the whtey wishes to know.
    My best advice is to use either a bus or train (for the many here that promote trains) the day before and invest the odd 3/400 THb in a decent enough room-choice of BKK-city or somewhere near Airport-shower, change clothes etc-and fly out nice+relaxed next day. To arr Swampy by 6.00 means: NO jams and a clear out frightening speedy ride on the motorway.

#7 Posted: 3/6/2012 - 07:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Phi Phi early morning ... By joaquin55555 on 11 Dec 2013 1 548 11 Dec 2013
Early morning arrival - what to do? ... By spareword on 18 Apr 2010 1 4038 3 May 2010
Early morning taxi from Siem Reap to Poipet ... By amalie on 18 Jan 2009 5 9429 27 Aug 2011
Thailand - landing bkk 5th of NOVEMBER early morning - onwards ... By supaflymack on 27 Oct 2011 0 1159 27 Oct 2011
Accomodations near Phuket airport for early morning departure. ... By trex on 21 Dec 2008 2 2134 22 Dec 2008
Trat-BKK: Early flight - want to avoid hotel ... By tae on 28 Jun 2010 4 1823 29 Jun 2010